new here! new to salt... help?

Also keep in mind that water will evaporate from the tank too. You will have to top off the evaporated water every day or two with fresh (not salt) water.

Welcome aboard.
When it comes to water changes,estabilished tanks can usually go a little longer in between.But the minute you break that tank down and it move it,you are basically starting it all over again.

my issue mentally is that i really wish i could do all new from teh start, but i just cant swing LR and LS money on top of everything...

idk.....

im still thinking... almost just bought a JBJ 28 gallon HQI setup on teh old credit card just now outta frustration LOL

There's nothing wrong with buying everything used. You can save a ton of money that way. That's how a lot of us have put together our tanks. The fact is, it's an expensive hobby. We need to save money anywhere we can, and buying things used is an excellent way to save cash.

Welcome to the site! :sfish:

Also, one more thing to watch out for with water changes: Make sure you use RO/DI (Reverse Osmosis Deionized) saltwater for the water changes and RO/DI freshwater for the top-offs from evaporation loss. I made the mistake of using tap water when I first started out in this hobby - It lead to a HORRIBLE hair algae bloom in my Biocube 14...

still lookin over my options..

i might just buy a 30 bowfront tank and stand locally taht has a nice lighting setup.. its cheap, and i can slowly save money to start it up.. id LOVE to do this all my own from the ground up.. i imagine that sense of satisfaction is GREAT

Touchdowntodd welcome to the site! If you're looking for inspiration I'm in the Milwaukee area and just set up a 180g, right across from the fridge full of beer :)

I was going to start small, but figured after it was done I'd want to upgrade to a larger tank - so I just cut the small tank out and went big from teh start

Back