New here! (Seahorses and Angelfish)

cynster

Dwarf Seahorse Keeper
Hello! :bounce:

I raise dwarf seahorses and freshwater angelfish :) This looks like a really nice community so I joined ^__^

Hello and Welcome!

I would love to see info on your dwarf setup! I have wanted to do them for ages but the hatching brine shrimp has been preventing me from setting it up.

Thanks everyone!

little_fish - me too actually. I said I wouldn't get them unless I could avoid the soda bottles - I got a disk hatchery that just required me to add water and eggs and the brine would literally swim to the strainer in the middle (because it was where the light was) - however, it didn't produce enough brine to be worth it (sometimes very very few) - so I am now doing soda bottles in a way that is the least amount of work. I have two very large ones so I hatch about once a week, start growing them in a 10 gallon and 2 backup 1.5 containers, and enrich in the hatchery disk now - that way I don't have to hatch every day, it's actually better for them to have the enriched shrimp rather than just hatched - it's still a bit of a pain to check and make sure they are eating everything and collecting them back in the brine holders if there is too much leftover before I turn off the lights, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be like when I was growing brine for fry with a cheapo hatchery kit.

Ya, no one can get around the hatching, and you are right, it is far more nutritious to enrich them. I like the idea of hatching once a week. I was considering hatching twice a week and then refrigerating them to slow them down but i just dont see it as working well. Someday when i have a fish room :) i think i will do a set up similar to what you are describing.

Cool :) Currently mine is in my utility room :) I have the advantage that my fiance hasn't moved in with me yet or he wouldn't let me do what I'm doing LOL once he sees it and it's out of the way, he'll be ok - plus I'm hoping he falls in love with the seahorses. I have the second tank set up in what will be our bedroom and he isn't thrilled, but once he sees how fantastic it looks I think he'll change his mind ;)

haha yeah - I have 3 in my 1 bedroom apartment now - 4 including the 10g brine tank - 6 including the little 1.5 brine holders - so the fiance is firmly saying NO to more aquariums before we move into a larger place hehe but I did manage to do the puppy eyes for my lovely display fluval "but look how preeettyy it is" "no... no... no... no... well, ok" lol

Thanks! Yeah I noticed there were a lot of seahorse enthusiasts here! I am really excited about sharing our experiences and learning from each other :)

Back