New here with a wierd question

Also I would like to say thanks for everyone being so friendly and welcoming... Oh and also helpful! I'm just a tattoo guy that had a tank fall into my lap, haha!

I plop the bag in the tank, sealed for a while and simply take a pin and poke one or two holes in it to... is there a different way to do this? this is what I was told to do by fish store

+1 BL1 - that means system water from your LFS is getting into your tank. You DO NOT want that happening. Many fish stores run copper in their water, which will cause you all kinds of headaches. You can also pick up parasites such as ich with water contamination as well. You're better off getting a little piece of air hose and starting a syphon and 'drip acclimating' the inverts. You can find instructions on how do drip acclimate here:

Acclimation Procedure for Aquatic Life: Welcoming Home New Arrivals

Also, your test result read .25 ppm Phosphates. This is most likely the cause of your algae issues. Are you using tap water for water changes? If so, test it for phophates, I'm guessing it will show elevated levels. You need to reduce phosphate input as much as possible, what type of food do you feed the tank, and how often? It sounds like you are already running phosphate removal media, you may need to run more of it or change it more often (at least temporarily) to get the phosphates (and hopefully algae) under control

Oh, and welcome to the site! We'll get this sorted out for you in no time flat, that way you can spend more time enjoying the tank and less time fretting over it - even if it was dropped in your lap. This hobby easily becomes an addiction

+1 BL1 - that means system water from your LFS is getting into your tank. You DO NOT want that happening. Many fish stores run copper in their water, which will cause you all kinds of headaches. You can also pick up parasites such as ich with water contamination as well. You're better off getting a little piece of air hose and starting a syphon and 'drip acclimating' the inverts.

Well there shouldn't be any copper being used in their invert/coral tanks. But, there could be something in their water that you don't want to add to yours. The acclimation guide Northstar24 is a good way of safely adding new stock to your tank.

Back