New here!

GSIMER

Reefing newb
I currently have a saltwater fish only tank, and am getting ready to put some coral in to add color. Just got a new high power light for my birthday and I am hoping to get some good knowledge at this site. Thanks!

Welcome to the site!!. What corals are you planning on getting? What light system did youget and how many watts is it? Well good luck and keep us posted.

Like I say Im new to this and I was told that I should push all my gravel away from the back of the tank and create a hill of my live rock up the back of the tank. Just wondering what you guys think would be a good choice for starters on the corals (Or anemonies or .........)? I read that these new additions can be very sensitive to water quality, light and temperatures, but it didn't say what levels I should look for? Thanks.

Welcome to the site. glad you found us. if you post your questions in the Regular forum i.e. newbies you will get a much better response as more will view your questions. I can move your thread if you like. just pm me and let me know if I can be of some help. as for your question I do not think stacking your rocks against the back wall is the ideal way to approach this. provide a bit more information on your setup, and equipment and im sure some will chime in here quickly. again welcome.

If the lights you bought are 55 watts x 2 and you have a 37 gallon tank, I would say that those lights are not sufficient for most corals and especially not anemones. That equals out to less than 3 watts per gallon, which is really not enough light for much, except low light corals such as mushrooms, xenia and kenya trees. Most corals need at least 5 watts per gallon, and anemones need even more light, at least 8 watts per gallon. Now that's not a hard and fast rule or anything, but if I were you I'd really return those lights and get something stronger. If you are planning on keeping corals and anemones, those lights won't be sufficient. If you want to start with a few low light corals and then upgrade lights later on, that'd also work.

Welcome - I'll echo what Biff said as well.. you might run into problems with not enough light..

my main question though - 37 gallons is a very odd tank size. It's been awhile since I ran my own store - but I never remember seeing that tank size in the wholesale catalogs. What are the dimensions? If your tank is a long tank (instead of tall) you might be able to get away with the lower wattage because the corals will be much closer to the lights.

With those lights I would stick with mainly softies like mushrooms,zoos,colt,kenya tree corals,even that wouldn't be a guarantee.110 watts of PC over a 37gal. is not much.I don't think you really need to move the sand away from the back glass.Place the rocks where there are alot of open spaces and keep as much of the rocks from leaning on the back glass.

Firstly GSIMER, welcome to the site...you have defenitely come to the right place to gain some serious saltwater aquaria knowledge. There a TON of helpful articles, which have proved for me at least, VERY helpful. In tandem with the articles, everyone that I have talked to on this site is very knowledgable, and willing to lend a helping hand.

Secondly, I'll say that I personally don't like the idea of having rock stacked up agaisnt the back wall of an aquarium. As stated earlier, it's a good idea to have good flow around all rockwork. The reason for this is so the uneaten food and other detritus will stay suspended in the water column and eventually be taken to the filtration instead of building up on or around the rock, which will eventually lead to declining water quality.

Next, I'll agree with what everyone else here has said about the lighting. I'f you're wanting to keep corals and anemones you'll need more wattage....I'd say around 300 watts.

Lastly, you asked about water quality. I'll qoute an article here (https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/saltwater-aquarium-articles/503-beginners-guide.html), which was found on this site.

PARAMETER TYPICAL RANGE

-pH 8.0 - 8.3
-ammonia 0
-nitrites 0
-nitrates 0 - 30 (lower is better)
-calcium 400 - 500 ppm
-alkalinity 10 - 14 dKh

I hope this helps!!!

Last edited:
Back