New Here

chucktownkid

Reefing newb
Hi there,

I live off the coast of South Carolina and have been here all my life. I've always been interested in Biology but in the past two years marine life has really been on my mind lately! Between the new fish I see every day and the baby horseshow crabs on an Island across my house each summer I've always wanted to experience these things longer than holding them in my hands for a few seconds.

Anyways, enough about my life. I want to hear about yours! I've done extended research and I just want to get started! I got a couple hundred bucks on my hands and i'm ready to get started. I'm still in school so i don't have a stable Job besides working around the house. So i've been looking on craigslist and i found what looks to be a steel:

29 Gallon Eclipse Fishtank

Anybody have any tips on what I should do?

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you aboard. Those horseshoe crabs grow larger than your think, and get too big for average tanks. I've had that same tank when I first started this hobby, and quickly upgraded. The size tank isn't the issue, it's the lighting in the canopy and the filtration system that isn't best ideal for a saltwater set up. It's good for just a few small fish, but you'll eventually want more. :)

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you aboard. Those horseshoe crabs grow larger than your think, and get too big for average tanks. I've had that same tank when I first started this hobby, and quickly upgraded. The size tank isn't the issue, it's the lighting in the canopy and the filtration system that isn't best ideal for a saltwater set up. It's good for just a few small fish, but you'll eventually want more. :)

I am aware that the horseshoe crabs grow very large because I've been upclose to some huge ones! Thank you for the advice, but do you mind me asking what size aquarium would you recomend? There are plenty of 55 gallon tanks on craigslist, and i personally dont want to spend a lot of money on a tank unless it's necessary.

AmberSunrise:

Thankyou! I look forward to learning a lot on here.

howdy and welcome to the site..:D
I started out with a 55 and quickly got a larger one( the 55 just wasnt big enough for much).. I would look into myself a 75 to 90 to start with.. will be a little more upfront but you will be happy with a little more room..

Welcome to the site! The tank size is more a factor of preference and budget, the larger the better. I hope you aren't actually planning on keeping horseshoe crabs, they do not fare very well in our home aquariums

Back