New inhabitant, a clam

Pilotkev55

Reefing newb
I think it's a maxima clam. I put it up near the top and after a few hours its mostly open I guess. I think it can open more as it gets used to its new home. I hope:bounce:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 478
Beautiful clam....I am concerned though....you have one of the more rewarding, but difficult to keep creatures in our hobby but you obviously didn't do enough research into tridacnid clams if you aren't even sure what species it is....

I believe it is a maxima based upon what appears to be extended scutes, but i cannot be sure without actually seeing it. The colors look more like those of a crocea. That clam will quickly outgrow a 28G nano then you will have it in insufficient housing. Also I have to ask about your lighting, as these guys require very strong lighting. They also suck a lot of calcium and alkalinity from your water so are you dosing? If not you may want to consider it, as they are also sensitive to inconsistent conditions....

The bottom line...we are responsible for these creatures lives and need to understand their requirements...would you give a dog to somebody who didn't even know for sure what a dog was or what it needs?

RESEARCH!!!! before the purchase...

It's shell has the classic shape of a maxima clam, which is also known as a burrowing clam . It cannot be identified as a crocea clam by its color. It has the 5 symmetrical ribs and a asymmetrical shell, longer than it is tall.it has light scutes that are worn away down lower because it is found living in rocks. The crocea clam does not have those features . It will soon be put into a larger tank. It is also under strong LED lights.

ribs have numerous very tightly-spaced, but light scutes; however, these are typically eroded away by the burrowing activities of this species when in their natural habitat. Thus, specimens that have been collected "in the wild", typically have numerous scutes present only on the upper portion of the shell. Those raised in captivity are not provided the opportunity to burrow into substrates and thus retain most, or all of the scutes.
— upper margin is strongly curved and each valve is symmetrical to the other*
— byssal opening is variable in size, being moderate to relatively large
— mantle extension can be well past the margin, completely hiding the shell and scutes
— incurrent siphon is ringed with numerous small, simple tentacles*

The Crocea and the maxima are both burrowing clams , I reread the identifying characteristics and what I thought made it a maxima may not be true. The crocea has a lot of the same characteristics. Crap

I found out it is a maxima clam. It was brought from a wholesaler in Los Angeles. The person who picked it up assured me that's what it is .

Sweet...I wasn't trying to beat you up, just saw a really short time in hobby and was a bit concerned for the critter...appears you have been doing your research and I appreciate that....as for the colors I mentioned, the classic concentric gold in blue, that's a standard pattern in croceas.....

and...oh yeah, they are indeed very similar shells, but the scutes are generally more pronounced on a maxima...

It's ok, I appreciate the advice. I thought I did enough research but then I was concerned about it not being what I thought it was. It seems to be doing fine as of now. I am dosing for calcium, alkalinity and magnesium as well. I found a calcium level that was a little low. Learned the magnesium level needed to be checked in order to allow the calcium dosing to work better. Calcium is 400 ppm, alkalinity is 9.0 dkh, and magnesium is 1200. So I'm going to try and bring up the magnesium a little , day by day. I guess as the magnesium goes up I need to watch calcium as well to make sure it doesn't shoot up as the calcium is able to be used or retained maybe through the rise of the magnesium. I don't think things are to far off though. The clam seem to open nicely and getting lots of light. Any other help would be appreciated. I guess I do realize this tank is only about 4 to 5 months old. I should have waited longer to get one.

Just watch what makes him happy....check your parameters weekly and adjust your dosing....I highly recommend automated dosing personally, and it doesn't have to be anything real expensive either.....I made my system and have helped many others build them as well....you can get it real well dialed in and then just check every couple weeks....

image.jpg
Here is a new pic. Theses are the parameters of the water at this time.
Ammonia 0
Ph 8.2-8.4
Calcium 430
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Alkalinity 4.1 meg 11.5 dkh
Magnesium is about 1400
I am using the API for everything but alkalinity and magnesium. I bought the red reef test kits for that. I will probably replace the API stuff with Red Sea when I'm out of fluid for the API tests . I am dosing every day for calcium , magnesium and alkalinity . Testing about every four days. Trying to see what amount will keep it stabilized. The clam sits on his rock, he did come off once one his own at night because I spun the rock around ,I wanted to see it better .I figure He was not parallel with the water flow and he did not like it. I put him back up there on the rock and he reattached himself and he seems to be doing good .any thoughts on the a parameters would be great. I have been doing some reading about them. He is opening up nicely and does not seem. To be gaping. Which I have read is kind of a mystery as to why they do that and wether or not it's a sign of them going down hill. He responds quickly to stimuli and his mantle is out and looks good. Any thoughts ?
image.jpg

Here is an update on my clam. I have a new tank it's a 60 cube with a sump , a protein skimmer and a set of radion Eco tech LED lights. It has a Eco tech mp 40 pump going in it. It's been up and running a little over a month. I broke down my nano cube and sold it. The clam is now in his new home and he is doing very well. I think it's happier with the new lights .

1393210494802.jpg
I strongly recommend moving him to the sand bed before he attaches his foot. He will outgrow that rock and will cause a rock side in the future with their weight. As in picture, I used a pvc pipe to create a block until he looses his byssil gape when he gets bigger. This will keep sand dwelling creatures away from the sensitive underside. Please look into dosing strontium, it to is a must for the health of the clam. Good luck.

View attachment 21967 I strongly recommend moving him to the sand bed before he attaches his foot. He will outgrow that rock and will cause a rock side in the future with their weight. As in picture, I used a pvc pipe to create a block until he looses his byssil gape when he gets bigger. This will keep sand dwelling creatures away from the sensitive underside. Please look into dosing strontium, it to is a must for the health of the clam. Good luck.
What is your reasoning for dosing strontium? Most resources I have found advise against it. Proper strontium levels are easily obtainable through water changes. Just curious where you found your info.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php#18

The same doctor also says you should feed the clams all their lives. Have you ever tested for it? In many articles, it states positives on the reef as a whole. Sps and polyps. On clams they do find it in the clams shells, not knowing if it is for sure if it is for metabolism or a way to deplete the "toxin" right next to the calcium.

Who is the doctor? I tested for strontium years ago and it always showed proper levels without adding supplement. It was a waste of time and money testing for it. Most salts have the proper level and most systems do not use up enough to justify supplementing between water changes. When you make a statement like "dosing strontium is a must to have a healthy clam" it makes me want to know more so that is why I asked. Even when I disagree with something I am open to the suggestion but I also like validation. If it works for you that is great;)

Back