New inhabitant, a clam

In my tank, I dose 2.5mls a week to maintain stronium at 7ppm. The clams absorb so much cal. And the difference between the molecular structure between cal and sr. Is not much different. This is why they don't know if it is a toxin absorb by mistake. I have noticed the corals are stronger since dosing sr. A lot of talk is still unknown if low levels are bad, no one has done tests on it, I'm not going to be the guinea pig with my tank and clams. Every place I've researched says clams need sr. But if your coral tank is light I suppose you wouldn't have to dose. W/c would work for everything at that point.

That's my point, my tank is not coral light and it also has a 7-8" clam. By all appearances and the fact it continues to grow it appears perfectly healthy w/out dosing strontium. Everyone's aquarium is different as our discussion shows----- you have to dose strontium and I do not. I would caution anyone that may read this not to dose anything without properly testing for it;) Also I apologize to the OP for the thread hijack:D

So, because of your tank you say don't even bother testing because you don't need stronium. There is one post as referenced that everyone in every fourm is so focused on and this concludes your research. I don't know why every distribution of clams recommends proper levels of stronium. What happens if you're to low? I think it is basics that you test before you dose, I think it is a warning that not to overdose everything not just stronium.

I don't think I ever said that? I said most people don't have to dose it b/c water changes are sufficient in maintaining it. Because of the inconclusive evidence either way and the fact that water changes keep this trace element in the proper range (in my tank) this is why I choose not to worry about it. I would not dose anything into my tank without testing.

You cannot dose strontium without measuring it because in high levels it can be toxic for your corals. And according to what I've read, corals use strontium the same way they use calcium because of their similar chemical composition. So any hard coral will respond to dossing strontium. I believe is not clear what level of strontium is consider good for corals. But if you want to dose it, you should know what are your levels before you start dossing it. Also, it is true you are incorporating strontium to your tank through water changes, but the levels present in the water are not as big as calcium and magnesium are. I will say if you are dossing calcium for your hard corals you do not need to dose strontium too. Stronium it's optional if you want to try it is fine, but is definitely not a must do for hard corals.

This is a very interesting article about strontium http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/11/chemistry

Sakura, Thank you for re tagging the exact same advance aquarist from 2003. Every and I mean everyone says don't dose anything you can't test for. This is beginner knowledge and I'm moving past this.do you honestly think they make strontium for a 1 time use and then people read this article? Of course not. It does work, you all have seen my buddies tank and I started using it with fantastic results. It's not the cure all for lack of husbandry, poor lighting or lack of knowledge. If you tank is not consuming calcium, it probably is not Goin to consume sr. I've seen rapid growth on all corals, lps, sps and bottom I in clams. It help aid rapid Excell consumption of cal to promote growth and density of corals. Here my personal picture of before and after of a blue stag with proper dosing. It also is 6 months in time, if you want generic growth and generic "don't use filter socks" conversation by all means this is not for you.
2014-02-24 13.17.24.jpg
20140224_140511.jpg

Sakura, Thank you for re tagging the exact same advance aquarist from 2003. Every and I mean everyone says don't dose anything you can't test for. This is beginner knowledge and I'm moving past this.do you honestly think they make strontium for a 1 time use and then people read this article? Of course not. It does work, you all have seen my buddies tank and I started using it with fantastic results. It's not the cure all for lack of husbandry, poor lighting or lack of knowledge. If you tank is not consuming calcium, it probably is not Goin to consume sr. I've seen rapid growth on all corals, lps, sps and bottom I in clams. It help aid rapid Excell consumption of cal to promote growth and density of corals. Here my personal picture of before and after of a blue stag with proper dosing. It also is 6 months in time, if you want generic growth and generic "don't use filter socks" conversation by all means this is not for you. View attachment 21978View attachment 21979
Dude, I can't believe you even post on this site after reading this https://www.livingreefs.com/threads/aarons-150g.48793/
Who would believe any picture you post or anything you say after that sham you tried to pull? Thank you for giving me some humor for the day!

Honestly I'm not worry about it. That is the best tank I've seen in any pictures posted here or any other reef fourm. I am happy it went viral. I tried to convince him to join but he doesn't like beginner basics square jar reefing. I helped him with his transition from his 90 to 150 and bought his sweet Mrc sump. He lives 2 blocks away and we talk alot.
The reasons are to think out of the box and all your numbers are just numbers. They mean nothing besides give you a starting point. Dose up.... what happens? Loosen up on the "numbers" what happens? Your corals aren't kicking the bucket because you make small adjustments. If you look at my tank page, same pictures, just zoomed in. 72g is still my tank, I have purchased some great things from this fourm and you can see them in the pictures. Do I care if you believe me? Nope, just trying to wash off some basic stone age thoughts on reefing and trying to grow some fast awesome color corals that are salvaged from 29g biocubes.

Honestly I'm not worry about it. That is the best tank I've seen in any pictures posted here or any other reef fourm. I am happy it went viral. I tried to convince him to join but he doesn't like beginner basics square jar reefing. I helped him with his transition from his 90 to 150 and bought his sweet Mrc sump. He lives 2 blocks away and we talk alot.
The reasons are to think out of the box and all your numbers are just numbers. They mean nothing besides give you a starting point. Dose up.... what happens? Loosen up on the "numbers" what happens? Your corals aren't kicking the bucket because you make small adjustments. If you look at my tank page, same pictures, just zoomed in. 72g is still my tank, I have purchased some great things from this fourm and you can see them in the pictures. Do I care if you believe me? Nope, just trying to wash off some basic stone age thoughts on reefing and trying to grow some fast awesome color corals that are salvaged from 29g biocubes.

Oh I know you are not worried about it since I don't see where you apologized to this forum for being a fraud. You think this is viral? Really? So why are you here hanging out with the "beginner basics square jar reefing" people? Did RC kick you out of their forum? I guess you could always hang with your "buddy" that lives two blocks away since you and he "talk alot". You can take some more pictures of his tank and even get some selfies. I wasn't aware that dosing strontium was the cutting edge in reefing since it has been around for a long time as well. You just keep banging out these posts with your 14 months experience and I will take my chances with someone with "basic stone age thoughts" like Randy Holmes-Farley who has been doing this for decades.

My deepest apologies to all the good people of this forum for replying in this thread but sometimes you have to call a spade a spade.

Ok I'm glad that is out of your system. Now let's get back on basics. The article is only for overdosing and what they find. They talk about 1 known reefer who did see benefits to overdosing, but don't know his exact ppm. Calcium and strontium are found in the shells of clams, so the point is they do absorb it. Now, the second is that if calcium is being depleted faster than w/c's, why isn't strontium? It is, you're not checking for it. In that entire article, it says nothing about low levels of strontium and the end results. W/c isn't enough in ulns for growth in corals ie the introduction of strontium and potassium. It's completely your choice of what you want to add to your system and what benefits they have on your system. If you have some pictures of you clams and the positives of not doing nothing to them, please post them. I know people have successfully kept clams for long time without dosing, I'm just curious on their bioload and reefload. If it is a toxin, why do they even put it in the salt mix or require minimum amounts on every Web page to maintain clams? It's been beneficial to my reef as a whole.

Last edited:
image.jpg
Clam photo today. Still looks good. It's shell is covered in coralline algae, I figure that's normal. It still opens good and has good closing reflexes. Do you think I should move the rock it's attached to down into the sand bed ? When it gets bigger it might outgrow that rock.

I have a sad thing to report,after having that clam for over a year. A few days ago it started to gape, it would not extend it's mantle. It got worse and worse .it died last night and I took it out of the tank. I don't think I will get another one for a while. I did not see any parasites or those snails that attack them. The water parameters are good as they have always been. I don't have an answer for it.

Back