New job need to move tank.

JimFun71

Reefing newb
Hey all,
I might be getting a new job and need to move. Unfortunatly it's about a 5 hour drive from where I am now. I was wondering has anybody moved a tank before or read any articles about moving a tank? It's now winter time and the tempature is my biggest concern. I thought about getting one of those ac inverters to run the heater and keep the tank wraped in blankets. I am lucky as it's a small 10 gallon tank and will fit nicely in the back seat of my car. The constant bouncing from the road worries me to.
I read about how they dose the fish with a chemical to sedate them for transport from exotic reefs around the world. Any thoughts on that?
Or should I find a home for all my animals and just try to save the LR and LS?
As always thanks for any input,
Jim

You can easily move your tank!

Just put your fish in one bucket, corals in another, rocks in yet another, that should have all of your water distributed between the two buckets. Then save a small cup of your sand, clean the rest very well so you dont have a spike when you reset up your tank.

Make sure the rocks stay covered so there is no die off.

You dont want to transport the tank with much weight in it. Doing so can compromise the seals, causing a leak or crack.

The sand is the potential issue here. If the sand has got a lot of detritus it could cause a spike. Rinse it with lots of used, cycled tank water.

Back