new kid on the block ;-}

shihtzu217

Reefing newb
Hi everyone, I've been on another site for a while and just found Living reefs so thought I'd pop on here also.......you can never have enough friends right! I have had a tropical tank for a long time but just started up my Saltwater tank a little over a month ago and I have become obsessed.

55 gal glass
fluval 304 filter
2 power heads 180gph each (will upgrade soon)
2 65w 12,000 daylight, 2 65w Actinic and 4 blue led lights
60# live rock
30# sand
last week I added 20# natural Coral skeletans for height, texture and planting ledges.

My inhabitants consist of 6 snails (sorry don't know what kind)
2 clownfish
1 lawnmower Blennie
1 royal Urchin
several hitchhiking Brittle stars
Several hitchiking Kenya trees
Several hitchiking Zoa polyps
and another coral that I have not identified yet and because of its color does not photograph well (another hitchhiker)

Thursday a member from the other site I joined is giving me bubble tip anemone's and green button polyps so am excited for the additions to the family.

still waiting for hubby to finish my canopy:grumble:
DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

for some reason the clowns love the heater
DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

Welcome to the reef and the addiction.
Looks like you have a great start.
And be sure to ask any questions you have,were all more than happy to help.

Hello and welcome! Nice looking tank, be sure to keep us updated and post new pics once in a while, we loooooove pictures. And like Yote said, feel free to ask any questions, we're cool here ;). Be sure to research your bubble tip anemone ahead of time, they are very demanding as far as lighting and water quality go.

welcome. don't feel bad about the clowns hosting the heater. i have two clowns and two sump returns. one clown host one return, and one on the other. they won't host a anemone, but they will host a piece of stinking pipe!

Thanks for the nice welcome. And thanak you for the compliments on the tank. I'm excited to grow with it. So the clowns are hosting the heater huh?! Silly fish! Maybe once I place the anemone's in they will leave the heater then.

ok, this may sound crazy but my levels have been great since day one. I did have Diatoms(I think that's right) a couple weeks ago(which apparently as I learned at the LFS was because I had the light on too long. I wanted to see everything every minute) but added the snails and urchin and they have done a fabulous job cleaning. Maybe because my rock was so full of life when I got it, I don't know, but I have not had any problems with my levels

Hello & welcome love the rock !!! tank looks great.. I have a new tank aswell had it 9mos. had no problems at 1st earther but they come just give it time..

Back