New Koralia 3 arrived

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
It's like Christmas again! My Koralia 3 arrived today. So now, where to put it?? I have a Koralia 1 and a maxijet with rotating head as well. The return nozzle is skimming the top of the tank right now to make ripples.

I'd like a circular flow in my tank, but I'd like to hear where you guys have put your powerheads. I have a 45 tall, so placement is complicated to ensure all levels are covered. My lr are all arranged from end to end, with lots of space in front and in the back for flow.

I figured I'd point the return hose downwards to push the old water away and towards the overflow. I'll use the Koralia 1 above water since it's not too powerful to help make ripples. I'll put the Koralia 3 on one side of the tank to direct water flow behind the lr...and the maxiject I could have pointed to make flow in front of the rocks.

Am I over thinking this?

Wouldn't that just cause a back and forth action? Or is it best to do 3 flow areas rather than 1 big circular flow?

Right now I have two #2's. One on the left, one on the right. The left one is pointing right and kinda down. The right one is pointing left but more straight.

But I have a Tunze Nanostream 6045 that should be here tomorrow. One of those #2's might be replaced/moved. And then I am picking up two slightly used #1's that I want to put on each side of my overflow toward the bottom of my tank behind the rocks pointing towards the front glass. The extra #2 might go up high on one side and point down behind the rocks, but not sure yet.

You'll like the flow with that #3.
I like just randomly place my powerheads.The more chaotic the flow,the better.Seem to leave fewer dead spots that way.

I might have to rearrange my lr on one side because the base is so close to the glass that it's hard to to keep it clean.

I'll try the random current setup then. That one side was my only dead spot, and I thought a circular flow was optimum. At least with random flowing, i can definitely hit that dead spot.

I have my powerheads (two) placed on the sides of my tank towards the back facing towards the front of the glass. Seems to be doing the job, as well as the return plumbing providing the rest of the flow using a T piece with 2 45 degree ends. Not sure if there are any "dead sposts" how can you tell ?

I have my powerheads (two) placed on the sides of my tank towards the back facing towards the front of the glass. Seems to be doing the job, as well as the return plumbing providing the rest of the flow using a T piece with 2 45 degree ends. Not sure if there are any "dead sposts" how can you tell ?

Just look for places that waste tends to settle.Most of the time,it'll be right in the corners of the tank or just under the edge of a rock.
You'll normally be able to see the crud building up,kinda like a bust pile.

As my tank is fairly new (cycled and put fish in) hard to tell. All i can say atm is Darn brown algue, stupid Adelaide water :). Really need to invest in a RO/DI unit.

That brown is probably diatoms.You'll get those reguardless on a new tank.They'll eventually go away on their own.

I normally watch the particles in my tank flowing around to see where the flow is going. I sit and just staaaaaaaaaaaaaare :shock: at my sand for any slight movement LOL

I actually like for the sand to blow around a little.Not enough to make bare spots,but enough to keep detritus moving.

Back