New Lights for a 90 Gallon

Bifferwine

I am a girl
I need to get lights for my 90 gallon tank (48" long). I want to stick with T5s.

I'm thinking 6 bulbs (even with IRs) is too few. So I'm looking for an 8 bulb fixture. Preferably with moonlights. I've found:
Sunlight Supply Tek Light High Output Fluorescent Lighting Fixture

There's a huge price difference between the regular Tek fixture ($374) and the "Elite" Tek fixture ($580). Looks like that difference is fans?

These are more expensive than the regular Teks ($550):
Catalina Aquarium

Here is a very cheap one ($242, without bulbs):
SUN BLAZE T-5, 48" Light Fixture 8 x 54W lamps by Sunlight Supply* - AquaCave

But this one doesn't have IRs and doesn't have any barrier between the bulbs and the water.

Any other suggestions or thoughts out there? I would be lying if I said "money is not an issue" -- so no LED suggestions please!! ;)

I have seen beautiful 120 sps tanks with 6 bulbs on RC. I think you are beter off getting a good 6 bulb with a good bulb combo and you should be set. Unless you want sps on the very bottom.

Plus the 8 bulb unit is wider than your tank. I think the two extra bulbs would just light the glass up to much.

Huh. Good point. I'll go measure my tank: It's 18" wide.

The 8 bulb Tek is 19" wide, the Sunlight Supply one is 18" wide, and the Catalina one is thinner, 13" wide.

Does anyone else think 6 bulbs would be enough?? The reason I wanted to go with 8 is because I have 4 bulbs right now (without IRs) and they just aren't cutting it for anything except shrooms and zoas.

What do you have now for a light? Is there anyway you could change out the reflectors. I think the IR just clip on the bulbs so you wouldn't need much room.

What I have now is no good. I'm using the old lights from my 55 gallon tank -- 4 T5 bulbs with no IRs. Current Nova Extreme. They just aren't strong enough (or wide enough).

Are you up for a DIY canopy project right now or do you want something you can just buy - slap it on - and forget about it

I believe the correct way to phrase that question is:

Is Christian up for a DIY canopy project right now?

And the answer would be: no. I would much rather prefer to just buy the lights. I'm not very DIY savvy. Any canopy that I build will just come crashing down into the tank beneath it.

Have you considered a MH/T5 combo light?
This is on sale right now:
Catalina Aquarium

That would work for now. It looks like it only has a single reflector. I'd be tempted to buy that and some IR's for the T5's and sorta retro that fixture. Just an idea.

Biff,I honestly think that a 6 bulb fixture with IRs would plenty of light.8 bulbs with the single reflector.
And DONT buy a fixture that dont have cooling fans.

Yeah the basic Tek's don't come with motorized cooling fans. I thought that sounded kinda iffy, but I know those are very popular fixtures as well.

RC, I don't really want MH. I had MH/T5 combo over my 240, and I just really prefer straight T5. The bulbs are cheaper, the heat isn't as noticeable, and they spread the light out evenly. I've tried all combinations -- over my 55 I had T5 only, over my 240 I had T5 and MH, and over my 10 I have MH only. Out of all of those, I just prefer T5 only.

I thought I read on RC that the cheaper sunblaze would get some rust on it. There are bunch of people around here that have the tek fixtures with no fans and have no problems. They say they way that they were designed makes the heat rise up and out of the fixture. You also have the wavepoint fixtures in that price range.

Obviously the more expensive ones are ATI, Aquatinics, and Icecap just came out with their own fixtures. They are very sharp looking but a little pricey.

After looking over my options, I really think I want more light than a 6 bulb T5 setup. However, as was pointed out, most 8 bulb T5 setups are wider than my tank.

So, I'm reluctantly opening the floor to MH/T5 combo suggestions!

Aquatraders has a 2x250 watt MH/T5 combo (716 watts total) w/ moonlights for $329 (includes free shipping)... I'd be willing to try them out since recently it seems people have been pretty happy with their products. This is significantly cheaper than the T5s I have been looking at, is more powerful, and comes with moonlights.

http://shop.aquatraders.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=54231

Any other ideas?

Last edited:
Back