New Lion, what to feed.

MrGrimxX

Reefing newb
Ok so ive had my tank getting ready for about 3 months now, with only 2 small crabs in it. Now I decieded when I was at Petco, to pick out a lion fish. Was 43 bucks.

I got him on Wednesday. And its now Friday and he hasn't eaten anything. The guy at Petco fed it a live fish when I was there and he ate it fine like any other lion. He also said he was eating frozen silversides fine. just to thaw them, and use a skewer to feed it to him. So ive been trying.

The first time i did it he followed the silverside on the skewer and bit it once, but did not take it off(i barely had it on there it fell off a few seconds later). And now he just shy's away any time I put it one in the tank and try to get him to feed.

I am wondering if maybe the silversides are to big for him. He is just a small Red voliation Lion. about 3 1/2 inches long(mouth to tail) And the feeder fish he fed him was only about 3/4 inch long at the store, and the silversides are like 1 1/2 long.

So how do I get him to eat them, or what other food can I try. I heard just frozen shrimp from the supermarket will work too? can I try?

Also he likes to float around sometimes, facing down, and last night he was upside down under the flow of the filter... is that normal or are lion fish just weird like that.

The one I had spent more time pretending the surface of the water was DOWN and pointed staight up or down in the corner.. I swear I only saw him swim upright when There was food to chase down.

+1 Everybody

Something you may have to do,is feed him some live foods and work him to frozen.
I've heard petco kids lie about how a fish is eating just to make a sale so they look cool.
Keep trying the silversides,except cut them down smaller.Maybe 1/2 to 3/4" long and try.Only give him live ghost shrimp once a week UNTIL he starts taking frozen.But try the frozen daily.Might help to soak them in garlic to.

Back