New little speedy critters in my tank

Ange

Reefing newb
I have spent a bit a time (ha ha) staring at my tank this evening and notice some previously unseen critters. They remind me of little white sand fleas you see at the beach. They don't seem to get along with the brittle sea stars reaching out of the crevices in my rock. The biggest one is maybe a quarter of an inch. They are really fast zipping in and out of holes in the rock so there is no way to get a pic. I have NO idea what they could be. I really noticed them with the brittle when I was able to feed some seaweed to the brittle with a pair of tongs.

They are pods -- which are great for your tank. Basically live fish and coral food. You can buy them in bottles to jump start the populations in your tank, but they hitch hike in on live rock by themselves.

There are number of them, so I guess they are doing fine. I won't lose them cleaning the rock will I? If they are in the cleaning and rinse water, I would certainly put them back with a net. I am so glad I found this site, you guys are so helpful and patient with all of the questions!

They will drop off when you clean the rock. Just scoop them up with the net and put them back in the tank. If you miss a few, don't worry about it. They breed like crazy!

They are gray and look like little lobsters without front pincers. They range in size from 1/16 inch long up to 1/2 inch long.

You've got AMPHIPODS!! :bounce:

Copepods are tiny as a grain of salt. They live in the sand bed. They are white. They are nocturnal and will come out and sorta swarm in a swimming ball like krill. Very tiny and hard to spot, but you'll know it when you see a swarm of white dust swimming around just above the sand bed at night. Use a small flashlight to shine around the sand and you might spot some already. That would be cool too.

Thanks, this makes me feel much better about this being my first tank and getting it set back up properly and running well. I am figure out my RO/DI unit so I can make some water and get to cleaning the rock. And moving it off the sand!

Back