New Marco Rock Ready For Display??

kid_sublime

Reefing newb
ok, so i ordered 50lbs of Marco rock and it came in last week. it went from the shipping box right into a Rubbermaid tub with RO/DI saltwater, heater, small live rock from my sump, and a power-head. the rock looks great and im very impressed with the quality, also had maybe 2-3 ounces of rubble in the whole order! anyway, i expected there to be a smell and seeing some nasty water in there but i got nothing. its been running for 7 days now and i just tested ammonia and its at 0 :dunno: did i miss the spike? is it still building to a spike? is it just good to go? smells exactly the same as it did a week ago, the water is still clear of everything accept the dust from the rocks (i didnt rinse them prior) any thoughts would be appreciated :Cheers:

There probably wasn't a spike. There isn't anything in there to cause your ammonia to spike. Marco rock is dry rock (at least they don't have it for sale on their website yet) and if there wasn't a lot of die off on your live rock, there isn't anything to produce ammonia. Take a small piece of shrimp from the grocery store and toss it in there for a couple of days, then you should start to see your ammonia levels rise.

i bought the dry rock BL1, and i was just trying to cure this not cycle i new tank, i should have been more clear about that. ive just read that some people have some serious die of with this, i just want to be safe before i ad it to my DT

You may have issues with phosphates for a while in your tank. That's has been known to happen but there's no die off that'll cause a mini cycle.

and 2 hours later and very pruned hands you have this.... :bounce:

Attachments

• mms_picture(11).jpg
    mms_picture(11).jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 566
  • mms_picture(10).jpg
    mms_picture(10).jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 582
If you want a better camera go look on Qvc....I got my Canon T4i there and they broke it up into 6 payments.

I just a got a bunch of excellent dry rock myself. One big piece stank and much of the other rock did not. If the rock doesn't smell bad and you don't see anything dead on it then it should not cause a big spike.

Back