New Member - 250 Gallon Salt Water Tank

superior

Reefing newb
Hello everybody, I just inherited a 250 Gallon Saltwater Tank. I have never had saltwater before, and this tank has between 500-600 pounds of live rock in it.

I wanted to join this forum to help become knowledgeable and learn how to properly improve my aquarium.

I'm also in need of a UVC Bulb with a G23 connector on one end. I am in need of a 36 watt bulb. (the one in the tank shattered while moving it to my house) I cannot find this type of bulb? anybody have any ideas on where to get it? There seems to be plenty of 9w bulbs with the G23 connector, but not in 36w?

Thanks for the help and I'm looking forward to hearing from you all!

welcome to the reef, and arent you look to have your first tank be a 250 gallon, what kind of equipment is on it , and how about the lights you have, and any inhabitants if you have any

welcome to the reef, and arent you look to have your first tank be a 250 gallon, what kind of equipment is on it , and how about the lights you have, and any inhabitants if you have any

I'm not sure what kind of equipment, It has a 50 gal filter system with bio balls in it, a cooler with a digital display, (two- 250w halide bulbs 10,000k, one 240w halide 20,000k bulb), (2 long blue fluorescents), (2 long white fluorescents), a denitrator system, a protien skimmer, and a UVC Sytem. The tank is acrylic.

I have about 10 small crabs, 10 small snails, 1 yellow tang, 2 un-identified fish?, 1 large snail about the size of a small fist, 2 spiny sea urchins.

welcome to the reef. were is the pics. one thing about this site is we all require pics. j\k as for your bulbs i have now idea were to find them. what is your plan for the tank?

i good thing to use for pics is photobucket you upload the pics to it than just copy the image code and paste it to the test box where you are writing

HERE ARE SOME PICS..

As you can see it isn't all setup yet, but it's running and water is good, the fish have been in the tank for about 40 hours and are still alive and doing well.

CIMG3869.jpg

Can you Identify these 3 fish???
CIMG3873.jpg

CIMG3872.jpg
SUPER SNAIL (about the size of a small fist) any ideas on this one?

CIMG3876.jpg

WHAT TYPE OF WATER COOLER IS THIS?
CIMG3881.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the fish! Any suggestions on some fish that would be compatible with these ones (i want to add some to the tank soon)?

maybe some reef safe wrasse, a school of anthias, a sand sifting goby maybe. with a tank your size there isnt really anything you cant keep

maybe some reef safe wrasse, a school of anthias, a sand sifting goby maybe. with a tank your size there isnt really anything you cant keep

Thanks for the ideas. Do you think I should stack the rock higher in the back of the tank so it almost goes to the top? and thus freeing up swimming space in the lower font area of the tank?

Welcome to the reef. I would try and stack it where there are some different levels to set corals and more tunnels that the fish can swim through. How long is the tank?

Hi and welcome! Can you post a picture of your lights please? I think if we see a pic we'll be able to help you much better-ly with your question on that.

Back