New Member Tank - Philadelphia, Pa

billa_bon

Reefing newb
Hello LivingReef, I am new member and fairly new to the hobby. My tank has been running for about 3 months.

28 Gallon BowFront
GLO T5 Lighting
Remora Protein Skimmer
25lbs LR
1 clownfish
1 yellow tang
Cleanup Crew

I have attached some photos of the progression of my tank over the past 3 months, spent a lot of time getting the perfect rock formation that I liked.

Questions...
Should I be worried about the little bit of algae starting on my sandbed?
Recommendations for both corals/fish that are good for an intermediate PLUS look awesome? I want a very colorful tank
Can anyone ID my corals? I know I have tree corals but I do not know the names of the rest. Bought them from the LFS and have a terrible memory.

Any general comments about my tank (good or bad) are also very welcome!
Look forward to meeting everyone.

2013-01-25 17.56.23.jpg
2013-01-25 17.53.09.jpg
2013-01-13 12.51.58.jpg
2012-12-14 21.17.03.jpg
2012-12-12 22.53.22.jpg

Hello and welcome to the site!!

First of all... your tank looks like it's off to a great start! :)

Secondly, though... I'm afraid a 28 gallon tank is not big enough for any kind of tang. It would be best for him to be rehomed.

The plan is to give him a new home when he gets too big for the tank. He's currently very small. That was the advice from the LFS. Is that a bad plan? He seems very comfortable in the tank right now

Hi and Welcome!!

+1 Erin on the tang

Sometimes you can get away with a smaller tang in a smaller tank but unfortunately 28g is super small for one.

Thanks everyone for the advice on the tang. I'm going to take a chance on this one and live life on the edge! No risk no reward! I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes.

Does anyone have recommendations on beginner/intermediate corals that would add color to my tank? Also, the best places to buy corals online or buying from other hobbyists?

Thanks again for the advice.

Thanks everyone for the advice on the tang. I'm going to take a chance on this one and live life on the edge! No risk no reward! I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes.

Does anyone have recommendations on beginner/intermediate corals that would add color to my tank? Also, the best places to buy corals online or buying from other hobbyists?

Thanks again for the advice.

Please do not "live life on the edge" when it comes to something like this. Especially since it's not your life that is at stake here.

Dont want to beat a dead horse about the tang but what happened to me when I lived on the edge was the tang lived for 5 years. The problem was he killed every other fish in the tank. That was in a 48 gallon corner pent.

As far as beginner corals, shrooms, zoahs of course. Blastos and acans did well for me also.

Back