New Member with Loads of Questions

mbeyad

Reefing newb
Hello Everyone:
I joined this group this morning. I am a beginner and have a 150 gallon saltwater tank, with coral. I have about 15 fish (blue damsels, tangs, coral beauty, clowns, etc) and about 10 corals. I had the tank professionally set up. It has a 75 gallon refugium. Skimmer; UV Sterilizer; metal halide fixtures.
My first question: My tank stays clean but is always got fine particles floating. Never fully clear like I see in aquarium shops. Always a slight haze/turbidity.
What am I missing?

The powerheads/returns could be picking up the sand and blowing it around. You could aim them up a little bit if you'd like, but if its picking up a little sand it's also making sure no :pooh: is resting on the bottom as well which is what you want.

Thanks Mike.
My water parameters are:
Density 1.026
Nitrate, Nitrite and Phosphate 0ppm
Temperature 78 degrees
pH 8.3
Calcium 440 ppm

Hope thi helps.

Mo

Welcome! :regular_w

Do you think some of what you are seeing could be microbubbles?

The water parameters you posted seem good to me.
If you are keeping corals you will also want to test for Alkalinity and Magnesium.
Those two plus Calcium are like the holy trinity. ;)

You should also start a thread in Tank Showcase and post some pics! :bounce:

It's hard to say if they are sand particles or air bubbles. If they are air bubbles, you will have to adjust your equipment, because something is sucking in air when it shouldn't be. If they are sand particles, you can either adjust your powerheads as has been said, or you can run some sort of mechanical filtration one day a week or so to clarify the water.

Back