My water was fine until I did a water change on monday. I get my water from LFS and when I had them test my sample the day I got the water they said the PH was alittle low, so the recommended adding a teaspoon of buffer. I did after the water change and since then the water has been cloudy. I also notice that the salinity is lower than what it was before the water change. How can i increase the salinity if this happens again?

Easiest way to increase salinity is to replace normal water loss from evaporation with salt water. It's best to raise it a little at a time.

Hello and Welcome!!

+1 on the salinity?

Can you tell us exactly what the pH was? Stores will often tell you the pH is too low when in actuality its a fine pH and adding the buffer isnt necessary

little fish- what should I do to stabilize PH and ALK? Do you know maybe what set the cloudy effect off? Thought it might be a bloom but not totally sure since it was the same day as my water change.

the cloudy water was probably caused by adding the buffer which raised an already fine pH to a range that caused something to precipitate out of the water.

First we need to establish what you alk and pH are. Most people have a fine pH and alk just by doing regular water changes, so do a few water changes and then test. From there we can re-evaluate what you need to do. Its likely you dont need to do anything.

Also, when test the pH next time, test right before you turn the lights out on the tank. the pH will naturally rise during the day and will highest when the lights have been on the longest.

8.2-8.4 should be range-ish. i would remove some of your water and add regular water in small amounts til it comes down

okay I will do just that. Do you know if I should start checking the LFS water before
adding it to my tank? or is it better to mix my own water?

if you get RO water and you mix it it is okay. you run risks with tap water. i use tap water but i dont know if all are as lucky. is your LFS water in jugs or made there? do you use marine safe water conditioner?

The water is made there at the LFS. I understand that the water added should be close to the water already in the tank or it could cause issues. Can this be true or false? If I mix the water how long is it typcally good for after mixing?

well dont use anything with metals when mixing waters and stuff i keep safe that way, by adding non saltwater and slowly removing some of your salt water you will slowly bring your pH down. the salt-mix you use to make your water will provide many of the minerals you need for your water column. you will learn alot trust me i spent too much time now reading articles and other peoples post when i have issues and finding the best possible solution.

Back