Thank you Danny. I'm sure it will be an addiction. watching the fish calms me.. i cant wait to get it up and running

Hi Everyone,

I've read a few articles this week getting ready. I've read so many conflicting stories. what is everyones take on putting in corals into the tank. I have read if you're getting cured rock you can do it right away, i've also read: wait. Also, crabs/snails. I have read different things 1. a ton of snails 2. only a few.. how m any do you suggest?

You can put anything into the tank until the tank has cycled. Using all cured live rock will make that happen faster though.

Corals (like all inverts) are generally not as hardy as fish, so I usually suggest waiting a couple of weeks past the first fish to add a few. Then, as long as you have the right lights, go ahead and add a few hardy corals.

For the first few corals, stick with the hardy stuff like soft corals and some LPS corals. SPS corals do best in tank that has had some time to mature and settle down.

I suggest adding a few snails at at time as you get more algae growing. You dont want to add so many snails at once that they end up starving.

Does that help?

Thanks Little Fish :) The one article I read said to put in 1 snail per gallon of water.. that seems like an awful lot of snails does it not??? i'd be putting in 75 of them lol

I agree, that is a pretty terrible rule. I don't think you could possible come up with a rule for snails, because every tank is different.

I agree that is a lot of snails. Different snails do different things though. The guys at reef cleaners really seem to know there stuff, the snails in these packs are small and there are a lot of them. here is a link to the 75 gallon pack Quick Crew (75 Gallon) I dont have the numbers they recommend in my 45 but my bio load is still really small. I really do need to up my crew though....time and money...and all that..:D

Soft corals such as GSP, Xenia, mushrooms, zoas, palys, leathers. You have lots of options. I am very fond of GSP and leathers personally.

Not really, inverts don't add much to the bioload. I would make sure you add a variety of snail, each type will target a different type and location of algae.

I just ordered from reef cleaners for my 45. 30 dwarf ceiths 12 Florida ceriths 11 nerite and 12 nass to supplement what I already have....I sent them a email and its what they suggested....

Last edited:
Thanks.. I found it.. i'll read more of the link when I get home.. imagine work cutting in on my saltwater information time lol

Back