New MH fixture fell on my tank

I came home yesterday to find that my brand new MH fixture 2x250w MH and 2x96w PC was just laying on top of my tank. Apparently the crappy legs that came with it cannot handle the weight of the fixture and they snapped and the fixture landed on the tank. Thankfully the fixture was not damaged nor was the tank. It made me mad because it could have fallen into the tank killing everything.

I went ahead and mounted in to the ceiling and that turned out pretty good. It took a while because I have a slanted ceiling above the tank, but it worked out. Dr's F&S gave me a $30 credit for the trouble after I called them and told them the legs broke after only 3 days of having it.

also, I went to Home Depot, Lowes, Walgreens, CVS, Walmart, Big Lots and a craft store to find a cheap little clip fan for the tank to blow the heat from the MH fixture away from the tank and I could not find one anywhere. I looked online and saw this at Office Depot for $18.99 each.

735891_sk_lg.jpg

It is 9" tall......is this what you guys use for your tanks? Anyone have any suggestions where else to get a cheap little fan?

or should I get this from Dr's F&S for $28.99

As it gets closer to summer,wal-mart will put their fans out.I think I would wait for them.
After hanging my lights,My water temp has stayed fairly stable.Usually right around 79*.

I got two little clip on fans from Walmart, $7 apiece. They look just like the black one you pictured, except they were white. Maybe they're not in season now? Fans are always in season in Tucson :)

Here are some pics of the lights after I hung them from the ceiling. Also, I had to make a little "blinding shield" on the front of the light that is sort of like a curtain because when you sit on the couch in front of the tank the halides were blinding. So I came up with the little curtain.....I sewed it and put rivets in it also and attached it to the front sliding brackets on the fixture that were originally for the legs.....but it worked great for my blinder. I have it on the front only the sides and back are still open for proper air flow. The bottom of the fixtures frame is 8 1/2 inches from the top plastic rim of the tank so overall the lights are about 11 inches from the water surface......that should be sufficient with the amount of wattage coming from the lights.

Attachments

• DSCN0844.jpg
    DSCN0844.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 326
  • DSCN0848.jpg
    DSCN0848.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 330
  • DSCN0849.jpg
    DSCN0849.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 304
  • DSCN0850.jpg
    DSCN0850.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 334
  • DSCN0851.jpg
    DSCN0851.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
Thanks....by the time I took the pictures the MH's had already turned off. And I found that little fan that Biff was talking about at a different Walmart today for $10 and it was white....I would prefer a black one but oh well.

Good looking setup, looks like you found a great solution.
I use a 9" round fan from home depot, nailed to the wall and blowing straight across the length of the tank, and it really works well that way.

I did find the fan like the one that I posted in the previous post, but I dont think I will nail it to the wall.....unless it wont clamp good on my tank.

Yote..the fixture did not come with a hanging kit; it did however come with the brackets connected to the top of the fixture for a hanging kit. I dont really like the way I hung mine. It isnt very aesthetically pleasing, but it will work. The chain is rated for 1600 lbs and I have that bracket thing bolted to the ceiling through the studs. Oh well...it isnt that bad I suppose especially for my first time doing that.

Back