New Mushroom Added

Sunshine

Reef enthusiast
I just bought a small Red Mushroom rock. My light is a 40 watt T-8. Is that enough light for it ?
My light fixture will hold 2 bulbs. One is just the light that came with it. Should I buy another light, and if so, what kind.

Thanks

+1 DC

If you're not ready for the cost of all that just yet and don't plan on doing any hard corals for a while, then you can get away with a good power compact T5 for around $180 new or possibly might be able to find a good used deal from someone on this site/craigslist or something.

Can I just buy a T5 bulb for my fixture I already have ? Keep my T8 and take the other florescent bulb out and put in a T5 ? I'm not putting anything else in there, just that mushroom for now.

You might be able to get away with that T8 lighting for just a mushroom. They are pretty hardy. If you try it place it high in your tank.

As for the switching of the bulbs I think you'll need a different fixture. Just not the same animal.

mushrooms are lower light corals so they prob will do ok if they are at the top of the tank. t5's will not work with a t8 they are different wattages. if you have a ton of light mushrooms dont do very well. in my old tank they melted away from the light.

I don't think that light will be strong enough even to keep mushrooms. It's less than 1/2 watt per gallon. And I know that the "watt per gallon rule" has wiggle room, but that's just so low on the end that I don't think it's a possibility.

+1 daugherty, DC, & Biff...even though daugerty and Biff differ. :lol:

T-8 and PC's also use different sockets and ballasts; while the lighting chemical is the same (phospherous), the power source and its application/dispersion are what's different.

Biff is probably right, but as daughtery and DC mentioned, you might have a chance to get away with it if you keep it AT THE TOP

T-8's use a dual end bi-pin socket, while most t-5, power compact i have seen use a single sided socket

Well, that leaves me with a dilemma...... I must think on this one....

I had the same one about 3 months ago...pulled out the credit card :frustrat: and bought myself a t-5...I'm not getting MH's nor coral that require it till I get a larger tank.

Back