New nano reef

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Josh, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Josh

reefnoob

It looks great!

reefnoob, May 14, 2015
    Josh likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Josh

Josh

So I'm confused. Testing results
    Nitrate 20 ppm
    Nitrite 0.3 ppm
    Ammonia 0 ppm
    Ph 8.0
    KH 80 ppm
    GH 180 ppm
    Salinty 1.020
    All the results have been the same for almost 3 days... I never had a ammonia spike to the slightest. I have tested ammonia from Day 2 everyday. When I added my water from Day one I also added a cap full of API quick start. Does this mean my tank is cycled? I'm scared that the ammonia might spike! It has on been two weeks since start of tank. Should I just let the tank ride for a few more weeks? Seems to be the safe way to go. Also keep in mind I have 18 lbs of live rock, and 12 lbs of live sand. I used two small dead shrimp and feed the tank every other day. My Fiji rock is turning bright purple and has some brownish on it. All the rock have drastically added color.

Josh, May 17, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. Josh

Josh

I also just found another hitchhiker. A small Asterina star on the glass.

Josh, May 17, 2015
  4. Josh

Josh

So it turns out my tank was perfect! Added some livestock finally :) the green star polyps opened after a hour in the tank! And so did the zoas. I put the clowns in at the same time and they are already "dancing" here's some pics

Attached Files:

Josh, May 20, 2015
    salt_for_brains likes this.
  5. Josh

salt_for_brains Alabama Reefer VIP Member

Looks good! Just a heads up on the GSP--- it will really take over if you are not careful. I like to isolate it in the sand bed and only let it touch what I want it to grow on. The same can be said for xenia.

salt_for_brains, May 20, 2015
    ErinCahir and Josh like this.
  6. Josh

Josh

I already planned on some Friday night fragging when they get bigger. I know they will grow fast especially when I add my new 6w led today. The standard lighting for this tank sucks. I do have a question though, my Salinty is 1.021 and I mix my own water with coral pro salt and everything is doing great. Should I bring it up to 1.023 or 1.024 or just let it ride? If it's not broken don't fix it.

Josh, May 20, 2015
  7. Josh

salt_for_brains Alabama Reefer VIP Member

Keeping your reef in the 1.025/026 range is more like a natural reef. I generally don't get hung up on "the numbers" and chasing them but I do maintain my SG in the range I stated. If you decide to bring it up do it gradually over the course of a week. Usually just topping off with saltwater instead of freshwater will do the trick.

salt_for_brains, May 20, 2015
    Josh likes this.
  8. Josh

Josh

That is what I have been doing so I'll keep at it. Thanks!!

Josh, May 20, 2015
  9. Josh

Josh

Added new light, green zoo, and a cleaner shrimp. Also did my first water change. Pic are after water change :) probably won't add anything else for a while lol tank is only 3 weeks old.

Attached Files:

Josh, May 21, 2015
  10. Josh

ErinCahir Sausage Wrangler

Looks great so far! Slow is the way to go to keep it up!

ErinCahir, May 22, 2015
    Josh likes this.
  11. Josh

Josh

Thank you!! :)

Josh, May 22, 2015
  12. Josh

Josh

So tank update...
    Water parameters haven't really changed besides Salinty which is slowly going up. My green zoas are doing amazing as well as the gsp. My other zoas are normal (not adding polyps like the green) what worries me is the purple pulsing xenias. The stocks have gotten smaller. Idk why.. The fish are doing good. The bigger of the two still keeps nipping at the small one but not causing damage. The little one still dances. I ordered a good led bar just for a little more light. ( 4 leds 2 blue 2 white) I started today half drop of iodine that I will add dayly. I know I know dont add something you can't test for but it makes since for what's currently in my reef. Plus I monitor my tank closely. If I see anything bad I will stop. I'm hoping it will bring the xenias back to its glory days. Please let me know what you think!! Also alge is growing quickly. Think I need to add cuc ( crab and snail) I currently have a cleaner shrimp. But my corrialine is gowning quickly :)

Josh, May 26, 2015
  13. Josh

Josh

Also starting water changes weekly vs bi weekly until I find a way to mod my protein skimmer.

Josh, May 26, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question