New Naso not eating yet.

Discussion in 'Reef Fishes' started by clancaster23, Mar 16, 2014.

1. clancaster23

clancaster23

I picked up a small Naso tang last night as my first member in my 180 gallon. It's about 2"-3" big. I see it swimming around and does everything a normal fish does... except eat. I have seen him peck at the rocks a little but with this being a new tank, there isn't a whole lot of algae on the rocks yet although they are a little brown. I have a clip with green seaweed on it and if it does go near it, he isn't interested in it at all, hasn't even pecked at it that I have seen. I got some IO herbivore pellets that have seaweed in it and it'll just let the stuff sink by him. It's only been in there for a little over 24 hours, should I give it more time? I have seen some say they may not eat for several days in a new environment, I'm just a little nervous about it dying.

clancaster23, Mar 16, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. clancaster23

Lesely

if you have any macro algae (chateau) in your sump they love it. Got my 2 new nasso to eat that first them they moved onto seaweed and frozen foods. Just put it in the tank and they love to chase it around. good luck

Lesely, Mar 16, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. clancaster23

kbuser92 Breeder

+1, but remember it's stressful for fish to be moved to a new home. It may take a few days, or it may not. You can also try soaking frozen food in garlic.

kbuser92, Mar 16, 2014
    Lesely likes this.
  4. clancaster23

Lesely

The other thing that works well is putting seaweed onto a rock, it is more natural for them to pick it off rocks that to eat of the glass on a seaweed clip. Worth a try.

Lesely, Mar 16, 2014
  5. clancaster23

ReeferRob

If you've only had him for a day, he could have been shipped into where ever you got him from recently. What you have to realize is that if he just came in from a transhipper, he was in a bag for anywhere from 18-30 hours. To say that is stressing is an understatement. Give him some time and like Lesley said, put the seaweed on the rocks.

ReeferRob, Mar 17, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question