New- Need Suggestions/Ideas!

TexUs

Reefing newb
I've got a 20-30 gallon (I have no idea right off hand) aquarium that I might want to do something with.

I've kept freshwater before and it's easy as pie. But I've always liked the colors saltwater fish could offer. So I had a short stint in saltwater before some mutant algea of some sort took over and I threw in the towel ever since.

So I was just wanting to do something again. My questions are any of you suggest ideas? I think I want to do Saltwater again but don't want to run into the same problems I had before. I'm hoping to compile a list of stuff I've got, and hopefully you can guide me in the direction I need to go.

I like the live rock look, I'm thinking of a couple clown fish, a shrimp (I don't remember what all these things are called!). Basic but colorful... Any suggestions!

First, welcome! Second, the guys around here that know the most will ask you to find out how big the tank is, as it matters. Also, how long ago were you last in SW? Things have changed, more improvements, techniques have made it easier to deal with problems.My tank survived a red slime attack, losing only one coral to the meds. Good luck, stop by in the chat room some night! Coffeebean:compute:

Hello and welcome to the site...to start you off right and to eliminate issues such as bad algae down the road is to start off with ro/di water...and NOT tap water. Trust me, it makes a huge difference. Also, as far as sand, you're gonna need arogonite sand and NOT crushed coral substrate, and also approx 1-2lbs of rock per gallon, which serves as your primary filtration.

you could also just post the measurements and we can tell you.
Will do. It's an octogonal tank (great for corners)... I'll get some measurements tomorrow hopefully.

Hello and welcome to the site...to start you off right and to eliminate issues such as bad algae down the road is to start off with ro/di water...and NOT tap water. Trust me, it makes a huge difference. Also, as far as sand, you're gonna need arogonite sand and NOT crushed coral substrate, and also approx 1-2lbs of rock per gallon, which serves as your primary filtration.
I actually did all of that, except the RO/DI part...

Yeah, that will do it...tap water that is, it contains all types of stuff that will fuel the algae. That's why it is important to use ro or di water...you can get it from your lfs or even wal-marts. I get mine from jewel-osco and/or lfs. Some members here have their own unit at home.

Post the list of equipment you have with this tank.All I really know about hex tanks are they are deeper which makes adding equipment like protein skimmers more difficult.Also aquascaping can be a hindrance too.

Welcome back to the hobby and Living Reefs!

Welcome man. I too did some saltwater years ago back when we actually used things like undergravel filters and such. There are huge advances as to filtration and water quality we never knew about back then. You'll still get the crazy algae but nothing like then. Some of the algae can actually be quite nice.

Will do. It's an octogonal tank (great for corners)... I'll get some measurements tomorrow hopefully.

I actually did all of that, except the RO/DI part...

Tap water will grow algae every time.

You can get RO water at grocery stores like Wal-mart and Whole foods from a dispensing machine.

Get a good CUC that will eat some of your algae.

For the first 2 or 3 months I only had 2 giant hermits, each the size of a child's fist. They ate every bit of algae and kept the tank clean and they were entertaining as hell until one finally killed the other.

i'll second/third/fourth the tap water thing.. i started my 75 with half used water from an established tank and half "treated tap" and it was a huge mistake.. if your up for it, (and i really do suggest that you make the investment, and the earlier the better) you should look into getting a RO/DI filter... it'll save you having to "go get water"... not to mention that making it yourself is MUCH cheaper per gallon than anywhere you buy it...

I have a 7 stage tripple DI from www.purewaterclub.com the 0PPM unit... i've been very happy with it, even when i had a problem with it, i just emailed them and they got me fixed up...

Back