New Nikon D3100!!

troybuckle

Reefing newb
Hi I just got a new Nikon d3100 and I was wondering if there are any quick tips for shooting my tank. I only know the basics of these cameras and any online tutorials or info would be nice.
I’m going to take some shots tomorrow and see if I can figure some of it out.

Awesome Troy! I'm pretty bad with my camera. I usually take about 100 pictures just to get 1 that I like ;) Good luck!

Thanks, BL1. I'm going to take a ton tomorrow and hope to get some nice shots too. I see everyone’s pics on here and there are a lot of good photographers, very inspiring, hope I can get some of that quality in a while once I get the hang of it..

There are lots of helpful videos on youtube, and practice mostly. Try taking the same picture over and over but changing the settings. I learned a lot that way.

Interesting info. I love the crew at wet web :) They've given me lots of great advice in the past. What I find weird is the etiquette of taking a pic of the fish facing left LOL I don't get why it matters.

I normally just take loads of pics like Brian does and hopefully I get my one money shot, then auto adjust levels in photoshop.

Here are a few pic i snapped today, starting to get the hang of it, let me know what you think.

Attachments

• DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 421
  • DSC_0150.jpg
    DSC_0150.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 382
  • DSC_0255.jpg
    DSC_0255.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 367
  • DSC_0135.jpg
    DSC_0135.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 351
  • DSC_0179.jpg
    DSC_0179.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 414
Not bad! Did you tweak any of the levels with a program like photoshop or some other program? You can bring much more life to a photo if you adjust some levels (usually, auto levels work fine). Most of the nice photos you see have been tweaked to some extent.

Are you using Photoshop? There's an option for "Auto Levels" -- ctrl-L, check off "auto" and it should auto-adjust for you.

OH shoot your photos in raw format so you can get the most out of a shot. :) I'm no expert, but I've learned a few tricks. D2mini is an expert.

Thanks guys, I’m starting to learn a bit about the different setting and stuff, I feel that with more practice this camera has the potential to take some awesome shots.

They look pretty good to me too....it took me a while to become just a little comfortable with my DSLR.......
Now you have to upload them to flickr or photobucket ,or one of those kind of sites so you can upload the nice big full screen shots,and not the thumbnails:wink:

You have to copy and paste it in the little picture frame icon...be sure to delete the" http:// " that is already in there first,then paste your image code from photobuckect

Attachments

• insertimage.gif
    insertimage.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 363
No problem,,,thats what we do here ,(most of the time:lol:)....besides,i needed help with the same exact issue a year ago....glad i could pass it on....now go get one in POTM :wink:

I think you may be able to make them even bigger if you choose

Back