New ? on cycling and filters

mmfrock

Reefing newb
Hi everyone,
I have a new question as my tank is cycling. Although I am not new to SW, i still feel like i have plenty to learn. I currently have an aquaclear hang on filter on my tank, but right now it only has a sponge and bio media (no carbon-b/c i know u arent supposed to run carbon during a cycle). My question is, should i take the sponge out, or take the filter off completely forever? Ive been doing some reading and it looks like sponges in filters just harbor nitrates rather than helping and it looks to me like more reef set ups dont have filters at all? Should i just save my filter and put it on only when i need to run carbon? Please help! Thank you! Michelle

When i first started i had it on there without anything just adding more flow, then ditched it when i got powerheads! :D

I have 3 powerheads in there already. So i guess i can take the filter off competely? I just tested and my cycle is thoroughly confusing me .6 am, .2 nitrite and 0 nitrate. Those numbers are slightly down from two days ago. So is my cycle nearing the end? It's only been a week! I'd be so happy if it is over soon. I want to add a fish so bad! Still working on getting the PH up, it's 7.8 now.

So what fish should i add first: a goby or a clownfish??

Yep i dont use the filter for anything unless i have some sort of toxic spill ect to run carbon.
Make sure one of you powerheads is aiming up breaking the surface getting good O2 exchange

+1 Waddi

Also, dont worry about your pH right now, the ammonia and nitrites are causing it to be lower.

And i would go with a goby first. Make sure you wait 3 weeks between additions and make sure your goby is eating at the store

Thank you everyone. Well once the protein skimmer is running that will keep the surface moving. For now i will keep the filter one just for surface movement until the skimmer is on.

Should i wait until cycling is over before getting the goby? B/c i saw other posts where it is reccommended to put in one fish to help cycle the tank? My tank is still really really cloudy with a yellowish tint, i am hesistant to put fish in just yet.

no, never ever cycle a tank with a fish in it. The people that do that are stupid and cruel for subjecting a fish to that, it wont speed up your cycle one bit nor is it any better than using the table shrimp method.

THanks little_fish. That's how i felt about it too. I just wanted to be sure that was doing the right thing since i havent been in the hobby for about 5 years. THanks!

Back