new reef tank setup!

i would use glue you will have less chances of it leaking. just put in unions in a couple different places so you can take it apart if needed.

okay well im gunnna turn this in to my build thread.
IMAG0058-1.jpg

so this is the 100g
IMAG0185.jpg

this is my cpr cs90 overflowbox
IMAG0186.jpg

and this is the aqua lifter for the overflow

im building a new stand on friday. the current one looks kinda old and makes worried when i fill it up

im useing all 2x4 i was going to use 4x4 but i herd they twist when they dry out.
i have some ideas floating around for the stand i have 2 of my buddys helping me build it. do you guys have any tips/advice on building aquarium stands.

Don't use threaded PVC, it is very easy to over-tighten as well as under-tighten. When you glue pvc together the glue actually fuses the two fittings together, basically making them as one. It is "almost" impossible to remove a fitting that has been glued, which is a good thing, it shouldn't leak. The only places where you should use threaded fitting is the bulkhead itself and maybe the fittings connected to the bulkhead. You can also use barbed fittings with durably braided/poly hoses and use stainless steel pipe clamp out of the water, and you can get plastic pipe clamps for underwater applications.

As far as housing SPS/LPS you will need a mature tank especially for SPS. I would wait atleast 3-6 months (I am sure others can chime in if I am wrong). Hammers, frogspawns, torches are good LPS corals to start with. As far as SPS, I am not sure if there is such thing as an "easy" coral. I believe that Montipora's are a little more flexible.

You will also have to concider how you plan on dosing the tank for calcium/alkalinity. A calc. reactor is a wise investment but they can be spendy and won't be needed until you have heavy bio-load. On my 55gallon with 10 SPS I am using two-part and am having a tough time keeping my calcium levels up.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the tank.
If your going to have a lot of SPS,dont plan on a lot of fish.ANd get ready top invest in a calcium reactor.
Like Salty,I'm having to dose a lot of calcium and buffer just to keep the levels from falling to quick.Dosing every day just to keep from dropping below 300 on calcium.

They use CO2 to dissolve crushed coral,which then enters the tank to stablize the calcium and alkalinity.

As far as the stand, Take your time and measure measure measure. If the tank is staying on that concreat floor take a measure of pitch. Most basement floors are pitched for water run off so take that into acount for each leg.
There are alot of good DIY stand threads that you can see other peoples step by step stand build. which is very helpfull on designe. Seeing that tank will way well over 1000lbs.
also keep in mind your sump. how will you get it in, and once it's in and the main tank is filled if you ever want to get it out again.

Thats my 0.02$

-Josh

Back