new reef tank

Discussion in 'New to Reefing' started by keith mac, Apr 23, 2005.

1. keith mac

keith mac

hi im new to marines been keeping rifts for 30 months but sick of the fighting and killing so got rid of the fish and added some salt and the bacteria is ok bit of a prob with the ph and ended up with white spot but with a little help from my local shop and a dose of garlic and every think seems to be ok so far i have a copperband a regal a cleaner wrass a black and white perc a pyjama cardinalfish and an orange spot goby my question is can i put an other type of goby in my setup my tank holds 33 gals and has undergraval plus fluval 403 thanks for any help

keith mac, Apr 23, 2005
    1. Advertisements

2. keith mac

Chris

You should be ok adding other gobies, here is what Dr. Foster & Smith say about the Orange Spotted Goby...

Hope that helps.

Chris, Apr 23, 2005
    1. Advertisements

3. keith mac

jhnrb

Without knowing how you are maintaining your water quality it appears you are at a point of overstocking.. watch your bioload carefully. do you have a protien skimmer?, what kind of substrate?? live rock??. how often do you change the filter?. all of these items will affect how much you can put into your tank. (just trying to keep it simple). welcome aboard. glad to see your post.

jhnrb, Apr 24, 2005
  4. keith mac

keith mac

my setup

thanks guys for the info on the goby as for my setup i have 10cm of coral sand with 2 aquaclear 301 powerheads a fluval 401 with foam and alfagrog manly for bacteria i have 4k live rock but getting some more today as yet no skimmer but looking into that as im not sure what to get and how much room i have my plan is to not get too many more fish but i like the antics of the gobies

keith mac, Apr 24, 2005
  5. keith mac

jhnrb

Sounds like you are heading in the right direction. watch your nitrates. once live rock is well established recommend you clean mechanical filter weekly or at least bi weekly. you might look into the CPR back pack R2 for a protien skimmer. if you have room behind the tank. a hang on that should be enough for your system. ( this keeps it small and simple. naturally there are a lot more skimmers out there and a lot bigger)

jhnrb, Apr 24, 2005
  6. keith mac

Chris

The protein skimmer is a definite must. It will get rid of a ton of waste keeping nitrates and phosphates down.

Chris, Apr 25, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question