New RO/DI

andersoned14

Reefing newb
Been at this almost a year and I finially upgrated to a real RO unit. I went with filterguys.biz and couldn't be happier.
here is the starter version
60a48348.jpg

here is the new
5b292733.jpg

this is a 75gpd all tho we all know it is not going to make that with cold water and lower than ideal pressure, but my old one was 20gpd. Also got the upgrade with DI. They, the filter guy, that I will have heavy di useage because of high CO2 in my water. Has anybody heard of this before?
I also have a storage tank, not from them, where would you plumb this in at? B4 or after the DI?

My wife also wanted to know---why I am taking pic of this stupid thing?---I guess some won't ever get it.

I am planning on buying an rodi unit when u set up my system. Are they difficult to install and does anyone know if rodi units in apartments?

You can put an RODI unit in an apartment. They usually are installed under the kitchen sink. You will have to modify some plumbing (the cold water line and the drain line) but those parts are cheap and easy to replace when you move out. I have had an RODI unit when I rented. It was no big deal as long as you fix up the plumbing when you leave. They are pretty easy to install too, it probably takes less than 20 minutes for me to do it.

how do you know when you have hit the recommended number of gallons before you should start changing the filters on these units? is there a display that shows how many gallons have been run though the system?

You need to buy a TDS (total dissolved solids/salts) meter to determine that. You can get them for about $10 to $15 online, and you need to buy the calibration fluid that is sold for them. The TDS meter will give you a reading of how pure your RODI water is coming out. When the water starts to contain a lot of solids, you know it's time to change the filters out.

^ thanks for the info. I am starting to look at buying a house and moving out of my parents and when I do I want to start up a bigger tank and a ro/di unit is def. on my list of things to buy since going to pick n save for gallon jugs of water just blows and the costs add up quick.

Back