New sailfin not eating seaweed

Northstar24

The Tang Herder
I got a great price on a sailfin tang last week and decided to bring him home. I watched him eat both flake and seaweed at the store. I have him in my tank and he's out and about and looks to be doing well, but wont touch the ocean nutrition seaweed I keep on a veggie clip in the tank. He is wolfing down the formula two flakes suggested by the lfs.

I can also just faintly make out his lateral line. Is it normal for them to not eat seaweed right away?

yes it is normal give him a few days and he should get ajusted to the new tank. Also try attaching some seaweed to a piece of rock in his lil corner, it is a lil mmore natural to him

+1 Rob
Some times it takes a new fish a while to settle in.Once he gets comfortable,he should eat like a pig.

Here's a photo I got of him hanging out this afternoon

IMG_0055.jpg

I was having the same problem with a new tang and someone here suggested rubberbanding the seaweed to a small rock and placing that in the tank because it's more natural. It worked! Did that for about a week and gradually moved the rock towards the glass then switched to a veggie clip. No problems now.

Northstar, have you been down to Midwest Coral Farms in North Chi. They have a very large sailfin. Their fish and coral always look awsome. I can't tell how big yours is by the pic, but if you have never seen one in person a huge sailfin tang looks great. I wish I could get one but I understand why they should not be in a 90gal tank. Good luck with yours if looks great and should enjoy your 180gal tank.

He's about 4 inches long and had been at the store since early August. The guy at the store lowered the price down to $35 if I took him that night. He looked great and pigged out at the store so I couldn't resist

Aquatics Unlimited, its right around the corner from where I live. You're in the MKE area, so we should get together. It would be great to get to know another local reefer

Back