New Saltwater Keeper

freshandsaltkeeper

Reefing newb
Well im sean. I just got my tank a few days ago and now as i speak i got 2 damsels in my 29 gallon.I usualy kept freshwater such as goldfish,cichlids,catfish,etc.I joined this site to help me on my journey through saltwater fish keeping.I will get some pics up soon.

Hi and welcome!

Yeah, there's no reason to cycle using fish. If it kills them, you've wasted your money and their lives, and if they survive, they will just go on to kill every other fish you try to add later on (damsels are some of the most aggressive fish you can put in your tank). You can successfully cycle your tank even more easily by just adding live rock (which you should have anyways), or by putting some fish food in the tank and letting it rot.

Welcome to the forum sean. Ya the damsels are nasty little buggers. I started with four of them and the dominant one killed the other three. There are other more "desirable" fish you can start with that are hardy enough to withstand the fluctuating water parameters that you're bound to experience. Anyway, good luck and have fun!

Back