New Salty here

TreeBass

Reefing newb
Hi Everyone, I'm John (38, Dallas, TX), I am totally new to Salt and got brave enough to start my first tank (55 gallon) at the first of the year. I'm suprised at how well it has been going. I've acquired upto about 40lbs of live rock over the last few weeks and I have only a few small damsels for now, but enjoying them since this is my first salt tank. I have friends in the hobby so I'm not totally blind and have been able to learn some tips and know what I was getting into for about 6-9 mos before I bought a tank. Can't wait to purchase some other fun fish in the coming months. I spend hours looking into my tank. I love the hobby already. The little bit of work is far overshadowed by joy of the view into the tank. Chat with you all soon. I like the Website.

-John

Welcome to the reef John.If you think you've got it bad now,just wait another month or 2:mrgreen: You'll be sitting up all night after the lights go out just to see what kinda new critters you can find.

Hi and welcome to the reefs just a suggestion your going to want more rock there again just my suggestion good luck with your tank and be careful its addicting!

closer to two is better you dont have to do it all live you can get a ton of base rock at your lfs and put it in under your live and it will seed just a suggestion though.

Thanks for the tips on the rock. I now estimate that I have about 70 lbs of rock as I found someone who was shutting down a tank. He offered me twice the amount in lbs if I took it all so I did. I also found a local pet store who would buy it so I got my rock basically free with some funds to spare for more fish! I didn't know this hobby could pay for itself! Anyways, I'm happy with the amount of rock that I have now and took a stab at building a reef. I've found that arranging the rock is not as easy as it looks and that a 55 gallon tank is not as large or more narrow than I imagined. Anyway I've uploaded a few pictures to the members area. It is a work in progress, but i don't want to be touching and moving stuff very often. I also picked up a hitchiker in my rock. Does anyone know what that thing is? Grandpa and I never pulled anything like that out of these Texas lakes!... haa

Congratulations! You've found your first bristelworm. They are excellent for your tank, good scavengers, clean up crap off the bottom. Don't remove them from your tank, they help keep it clean! They are nocturnal, I bet if you turn off your lights and come back a couple hours later with a little flashlight you'll see tons more. Eventually your tank will be infested with bristleworms -- it's a good thing!

PS -- Your rocks look really good.

I've heard some mixed answers with these worms. You are right, I have found some (much smaller) in the tank at night, nothing that large though. I'm not sure if they actually eat corals, do you know? I have a problem, I haven't been able to pull myself from viewing my tank and my chores around the house aren't getting done. haa...

99.9% of the bristle worms you find in your tank are not going to bother anything. They are great at helping keep your tank clean.

one of the only ones that I know of they would harm your tank is a fireworm its a bright red bristleworm, the beneficial ones that I have seen are pink or tan.

Back