New Sea Hare - Video

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
Okay, giving up on cleaning the hair algae out of the frag tank. I've quit putting food in there over a month ago. skimmer on full blast, weekly water changes, light cycle reduced to only 8hrs per day, manual removal, phosban --- nothing works.

So, I got a sea hare today, and it's QUITE hungry. I spent about 2hrs acclimating it. Released it into the tank and it's been happily munching away.

Click for video:

It ate a bunch of algae off one rock and some off the back glass already. I imagine it's like every other animal you buy from the LFS -- hasn't had a good meal in a week or two. It was probably hungry, but I think it's stuffed now.

I don't want to end up feeding it when the tank is clean, so I might try and loan it to local reefers in need.

Sea Hares will definitely good eaters of algae...mine kept my tank spotless till he ate himself to death :grumble:, but he mostly stuck around my rock, hardly ever found him on my back glasss, the place I wanted him to clean :grumble:x2. I know a common practice mentioned on the site is to hand them off when they've run out of food, but, for your 30g, it could be your one man wrecking crew especially if algae grows as easy in your tank as you say. Mine took a few weeks before I even considered getting him food, but there was still algae in the tank for him to eat...they'll find something to eat.

I don't have an algae problem in my 30g tank.

The problem is in the 10g frag tank. Thats where the sea hare is.

I'm getting one of these when my tank is back on track. I was getting ready to get one. I've got so much hair algae on my rocks it's awful

It's dead.

Found it this morning on the sand bed. It's back was split open and looked like it's guts were falling out. Gave it the flush. Changed 10% of the tank water, just in case.

:frustrat:

Actually, it never ate a whole lot. It did a bit of munching on some hair algae the first day I released it into the tank, but after that, it just hid under some rocks most of the time.

That is definitely crazy...when I found my sea hare dead, he was all shriveled up to the size of a flattened peanut, but still in one piece

I'm going to sell some coral and buy a new one. Anyone want frags? Send me a PM. :mrgreen:

Mostly mushrooms and Purple Death. Some other zoas. Hair algae on them. :grumble:

Back