New Setup, Need Some Advice

greenesgreen

Reefing newb
I would like to thank all contributors in advance, i'm new to the saltwater scene and i dont want to look over something that could spell disaster for my new tank and its inhabitants. First off, I have a 75gal rectangular tank, 30gal sump tank (no dividers), 2 maxi-jet 404 pumps, 1 maxi-jet 606 powerhead, 2 1200gph pumps (in and out of the sump tank, natilus skimmer (big sucker), that about does it. I know i need lights, im working on that at the moment, probably getting MH any suggestion? Do I need mechanical filtration? I plan on having fish, live rock, some hardy corals, and a few inverts. My sump tank have about 4" of live sand, plan on adding some macro algae, and a few critters to stir up the sand bed. Basically, what else do i need to make this a healthy tank. Any advice on refugium setup? Do i need more powerheads? Any other info offered would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

With plenty of rock and your skimmer,you've basically got your filtration covered.You could use one of those filter socks to catch the bigger stuff if you wanted to.
On that 75,metal halide will give that nice shimmer and pretty much cover your lighting needs.A set of T-5s with individual reflectors will get you plenty of light too,you just wont the shimmer.

Most just use sand in their display tank and seem to be happy with it. Crushed coral is not recommended because it traps too much detritus and leads to poor water quality.

In the refugium you should have a deep sand bed 4-6" and cheato and you could also place a few pieces of live rock if you wanted to, but it isn't necessary.

why cheato? - Reeflands Forum

If your current setup doesn't bring your nitrates and phosphates down to zero, you may need to focus putting more macro-algae in your refugium.

im setting up my fuge first, cheato, snails, etc. Then i plan on getting my live rock situated. I figure i will be putting some fish by thew beginning to mid Oct. Not trying to rush, i dont want to waste my money.

My tank is 48" long. Do i need to go with a 48" lighting system to provide the proper light or will a good 36" work just as good?

It depends on your application.
If your mounting it to the top with legs then 48"
If your mounting it inside a hood then 48" if the hood has enough room.
If your hanging it then 36" because you want to light up the aquarium not the surrounding area. Of course it depends on how high you plan on hanging it.

What type of fixture/lights are you looking at? MH/T5 combination would be best.

Back