New shrimp death

InsanityPrawnBoy

Reefing newb
I recently got my first shrimp and corals(and 3 snails adding onto my other 3). it was a Fire shrimp and I have had him for days(got him friday) and I wake up this morning and he is in the sand(in shade under his usual spot on the rock) not moving. I take the back part of my net(too small a space for the net) and poke him once or twice...nothing. So i assume he is dead. Last I checked my Ammonia and nitrites were at 0. I didn't test for nitrate, tested that today and it was 0. My sand is kind of fine and my snails don't seem to like it(and there are little bubbles in it I see now). And he was very small.

What could have happened? Stress? I think he was a new animal. I need help.

Are you 100% sure its not a molt?
Its failry common for new shrimp to molt.And the molt will look exactly like the live shrimp.

So it will look EXACTLY like the shrimp in every way? I moved the rock so I could see it and nothing anywhere no shrimp. Not to be a downer I'm just not sure.

Yep.It'll look EXACTLY like the shrimp.Then the live shrimp will hide while this new skin hardens.

I'm not saying that your shrimp didnt die,I just want you to be sure that your not just seeing a molt and thinking its dead.

+1 yote (three times)
I had some trouble with shrimp in the beginning. I think they are sensitive to water quality and need a more established tank.

Just give it a day or so and see if your shrimp shows back up.Hopefully it will.
But if it dont,just let your tank mature for a couple of months and try again.

If you're actually gonna try and bring it back to the store the. Throw it in a haggis and put it in the freezer.

The only one I can't test for is Alkalinity...and they would probably use Red Sea since that is the only kind they sell(unless they have a big fancy machine which I highly doubt) Could the alkalinity have caused it? The coral and snails are fine. I'll test the rest I haven't recently(all but nitrate).

It also could have been too much stress during the catching, the transport, the tank with 50 others, the bagging, my transport, and my acclimation. I am going to hold off on more stuff for awhile(as I would anyways).

On another note: Should I do a water change? I did one last Sunday should I do another now?(newish tank was cycled for 3 weeks before i added anything)

You wouldnt wait until your vehicle starts having major problems before changing the oil would you? In a new tank,10 to 20% a week is usually recommended.

Now back to your shrimp.:D
How did you acclimate it?
When you bought it,did they put a piece of rubble or a rubber band in the bag with it?

I acclimated it by first leaving the bag in the water for 15 min, I then added 1/2 of tank water into the bag and repeated for about and hour an a half before putting him in.

When I bought him they just caught it and put him in the bag. If rubble is necessary next time I'll ask or make a special container for it. But I would like that bit to be explained a bit thank you

Back