New skimmer keeps flipping out!

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
I got the new Super Reef Octopus HOB LX-1000s and it is enormous. Anyway I am used to my aquaC remora skimmer so I am having trouble with this one. If I turn it off and turn it back on the bubbles overflow my collection cup and go crazy. Initially I had to block the silencer valve with my finger until the water pressure went up an then let go and it worked the first time I had done it. Now that the whole skimmer is full of water when I try to do this it overflows. It doesn't overflow to be exact but the whole cup fills with water until it reaches the height of the tube and just fizzes near full. Any suggestions?

Yeah, keep your finger out the hole. J/k :) seriously, I have no idea...all skimmers must go thru a break in phase, so it may just be doing it in the beginning. Also, skimmers tend to over react to chemicals, so if your adding anything to the tank, hold off if possible to let the skimmer adjust.

tank is empty except for some live rock. I had a snowflake eel in there, but it didn't make it so I got this new skimmer to help pull out junk. It is only saltwater and rock with probably not much protein to skim.

Back