New skimmer pump not working as well

shanet1975

Reefing newb
Well my skimmer pump finally shit the bed 2 days ago. I replaced it with the same pump. A Gen X gx 1200. I noticed the parts that spins to create the bubbles looked a little different in the new one but thought it was just a design update or something. Well after I get it in I can't get the bubbles to get more than 1/2 way up the bottom tube. With the other pump I had bubbles coming out the breather hole on top. The bubbles are between 1/2 and 2/3 of the way down. Should I try another pump or is this OK?
Thanks

Because it is a new skimmer it will need several weeks to break in. I am no expert but from all the research I have read most skimmers have a break-in period. My skimmer even had it in the manual that it will have to break-in first.

Hope this helps

MoLaw

Well I know with mine all I did was leave it on a lower flow for a couple of days until I noticed that the unit was producing more micro bubbles so I turned the flow up. Basicly I just kept adjusting the flow over a week period until it stayed stedy filling the cup like it should. I am sure someone else here will be able to explain a little better.

Yeah, keep the adjustments as low as you can for about a week, then see how it looks, but be careful, they can flood your floor and drain your sump (twice... in a month) :(
So make sure its broken in properly and going to be at a consistent water level and everything before you try adjusting it and leaving.

Mo and Knight's got you pretty well covered.
Just keep an eye on it and make several small adjustments instead of 1 or 2 big ones.

Back