New Skimmer!

Leslee

Reef enthusiast
Hello everyone! Sorry I have been pretty busy with school lately that I haven't been able to keep up with living reefs! :frustrat:

BUT! I bought some new things for my tank!

I got a RO/DI unit from purewater club. Its the kind where you attach it to the faucet. I got this one because I am living in an apartment right now and I also don't know much about plumbing! I got it all hooked up and it is running right now!

I also bought and AquaC remora HOB skimmer with a drain fitting. I bought the maxi jet 1200 pump and the pre skimmer box.

WELL, I have no clue where to start. I am a visual person and there are no pictures that help with the installation in the directions. I am thinking the drain fitting part was the wrong idea. I thought it would be similar to the drain tube on the protein skimmer on my cube tank. With that skimmer I can just unplug the bottom of the drain hose and then drain all the skimmate out and then plug it back in. My new skimmer has no hose just the drain fitting. I am hoping to make a trip to the hardware store tomorrow to get a hose for the drain fitting and I hope then I can make something similiar for this skimmer. I also have NO CLUE how to attach the pump to the skimmer and how to put the pre skimmer box on! I am thinking I will just have to work through it and figure it out but if anyone has any suggestions they would be much appreciated!

I have to work at my second job tonight and lunch tomorrow and I am on call tomorrow night so I am hoping I wont have to work dinner tomorrow night so I can go to the hardware store! I need to get this up and running!

YAY for new tank toys! Now I have to decide what the next purchase will be! For sure will include a refractometer. But I am not sure if I should save for a new light for my 29gal or power heads for both the 29 gal and the 22gal!

Good luck with the new supplies. You'll be able to get a drain tube at the hardware store for like 20 cents. Just drain it into a gallon jug or something like that and you'll be good. I like to use a jug with a cap. That way I can drill a hole in the cap the size of the drain tube and just stick the tube inside the cap. That way it will help to keep some of the nasty smell contained.

LOL....thats exactly the set up I emailed you about. I could have saved you some $$$$

Hope it works out for you

I am pretty sure I got the smaller one. Because you said yours was too big for my tank (from what I remember!) If not thats just my luck! Any hints on how to set this baby up?

Start out with the cup all the way up as far as it goes and let it break in. These seem to take longer than most skimmers to break in properly. I'm talking weeks!
Gradually lower the cup as it starts pulling gunk out.

I noticed your said it had a drain plug on the cup. Don't hook it up to a waste container till it is done breaking in. If the skimmer goes crazy and your not home, you will have a flood

Start out with the cup all the way up as far as it goes and let it break in. These seem to take longer than most skimmers to break in properly. I'm talking weeks!
Gradually lower the cup as it starts pulling gunk out.

I noticed your said it had a drain plug on the cup. Don't hook it up to a waste container till it is done breaking in. If the skimmer goes crazy and your not home, you will have a flood

Any hints on where the pump goes? I am clueless on this one!

The pump goes in the pre skimmer box. A hose goes from the pump to the intake arm ( # 5 in the directions bj posted). Use plastic hose clamps on the hose, not metal

Any other problems, just let me know

Back