New skimmers

Slimkasey

Reefing newb
Hey all, I'm about to get a new Protiein Skimer, and my question is, what do I need to do to get these set, and what can I expect.

These are HOB for my 30 gallon, and with the skimmer on, can I remove my HOB 5 stage mechanical filter?

Thanks for the advice in advance.
Steve

ok i am guessing that ou want to know if you can have the skimmer on and the tank but you may have to remove your 5stage.
if you can fit a skimmer on the tank with out taking off the 5stage than do it.
skimmers like sea clones are good. and they dont take much space.
if you can see what you can put on with out taking off your 5stage.

I would go with a HOB skimmer and remove the filter. Your main source of filtration should come from the bacteria and other living organisms in the live rock. The skimmer will remove the dissolved organics before they have a chance to enter the bacteria cycle. Aqua C, and Reef Octopus are both very good brands and come with everything you will need to set them up.

There will be a 'break in' period where you'll have to get the water level in the skimmer set correctly

As far as how often they'll need to be cleaned? - It really depends on your bio load and how much is being pulled out of the cup. You'll need to empty the collection cup as it fills, and possibly clean the neck of the skimmer as well.

I clean mine out about once a week, right after my water change

Back