New small picasso fish? Help?

Zayyy

Reefing newb
Hey!

I got two new fish today.
A small/baby picasso trigger around 3-4 CM.
A small clownfish 3-4 CM.

I understand they are just new to the tank, but the clownfish is full into the tank and roaming around the place, which is good to see.

On the other hand my picasso is hiding and going into the rocks and just acting dead... Is that normal? He will come out.. float to the top and the filter will push him around like he is going for a ride...
I'm worried he is going to die.. or is he just shy?
Could the filtration be too much for both the small fish?

He has been OK. swimming around and swimming against the current to get a to the rocks... But now he is just hiding near the heater...

If the trigger is being blown around by the filtration, that's not a good sign.
My guess is he's not gonna make it. Could be from the stress of the move, poor acclimation,or any number of other reason.

Plus Wonton is right. That trigger wont live very long in a 17 gallon tank to begin with. The tanks way to small for even a baby trigger.

I need to change my signature, but it's a 20G.
But you are saying 70G so that's not going to change much.

My fish shop that i have dealt for many years knows a lot about my tank and so forth.
I asked him, i was expecting to hear a no. But he said being so small he will be fine. '

I'm getting a bigger tank soon anyway, so i will just transfer him to the larger tank.

He's doing good now, i think it was just a little bit of shock.

Of course! But it's not going to give them a huge profit being $35.

I trust them, with the right care I'm sure i can keep him long enough for the larger tank.

You most likely took this poor little guy out of the ocean, the least you can do is provide him with adequate space. Perhaps ask the lfs to hold him until you get the tank set up?

What do you mean i most likely took him out? Don't go assuming.

Lol, oh what a great idea? Just go back to where i purchased it from.

Yes, the majority of marine fish arent tank bred. This means they had to have come from the ocean.

Im sorry i brought this up you obviously just dont care.

So, why would you be blaming me from taking him from the ocean?

Of course i care.
If it's such a big deal why are we all taking fish from mother nature? Don't just pick me up about it.

Check out liveaquaria.com Awesome site with care requirements, facts and great info on saltwater creatures. It's a perfect site to consult before buying a living animal as it will tell you if it is a suitable match for the tank that you HAVE, not the tank that you plan on maybe getting one day

This forum is just a bunch of members on their high horse about this all.
It's the worst fish forum.

& Sarah, Thanks.
"As it will tell you if it is a suitable match for the tank that you HAVE, not the tank that you plan on maybe getting one day"
That's not my situation, as i never thought that so no need to comment that :)

If you don't like the advice we give, then go find somewhere else to ask your questions. And don't back complaining when your fish dies. That fish was collected from the ocean, not tank bred, and should be able to live for 10-20 years or more if you provide it with the proper care. But it sounds to me like your gonna be lucky if it lives a week in your care. Obviously you aren't giving it what it needs to survive and thrive. Just as a gut check, why are you in this hobby? Is it to spend money to fill a tiny tank with fish that live for a few weeks or months just to replace them with more fish that don't live very long? Or is it because you have a great deal of respect for these living creatures and want to provide them with the best possible care so that they have long and happy lives? Here at Living Reefs we strive for the latter.

This forum is just a bunch of members on their high horse about this all.
It's the worst fish forum.

& Sarah, Thanks.
"As it will tell you if it is a suitable match for the tank that you HAVE, not the tank that you plan on maybe getting one day"
That's not my situation, as i never thought that so no need to comment that :)

Well, frankly, you have a terrible attitude. You won't find any fish forum out there that will tell you that it's okay to keep a trigger in a 20 gallon tank. If everything was going so well with it, and it was fine in your tank, you wouldn't be posting here in the first place saying that it looks like it's struggling to survive.

Last edited:
Ah, the two types of fish enthusiasts.

The ones who care about their animals.

And the ones who just care about their eyes. :frustrat:

Good luck finding a forum that'll accept your attitude and apathy. Here's a piece of advice before you leave: DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that ALL LFS's are in business for just one reason, and that is to make money. And just because a LFS employee hasn't steered you wrong or given you bad information in the past,doesn't mean that they wont. Their job is to make sales,not necessarily help you make the right choice.

And trust me.It's extremely easy to confuse your tank with another customers. I do it all the time myself at the LFS I help at.It's easily done when you got 100 customers a day coming through.
And I'll be the first to tell ya. My favorite customers are the ones that have done their research and know what can and can't go. We get tired of getting our balls crushed by folks that want US to give em the entire natural history of a certain fish, coral, or invert.

Back