New small picasso fish? Help?

If the fish is really only a few centimeters long then you got a very young fish. This could potentially be why it is not doing well. Very young juveniles tend not to do well unless they're cared for by experts.

Did you drip acclimate the fish for a couple hours before adding it? Temperature acclimate as well?

As everyone has said, your tank is not large enough to support this fish (even for a short time). Even as a juvenile he needs a much larger tank and room to swim. Have you done any research on triggers? They're not reef safe (just so you know).

You should really try to take the fish back. He will grow very quickly (eventually reaching up to ten inches....if he lives) and your tank isn't big enough now, let alone in a month if he makes it that long. If you have any compassion for the suffering of the fish you should swallow your pride and take him back. I recommend you not follow directions from an LFS that will sell you a Trigger for a 20 gallon tank.

I had a Picasso.. 1st off they are VERY aggressive fish and second off, what size tank did the lfs have him in? most keep fish in 10-30 but do have larger tanks for larger species. If he came from a 10-20 gallon he should be okay for a little while, just not to long, but if you got him from one of there 30-100 gallon "expansive" tanks than your going to be bringing him into ALOT of stress.
Good luck though, im sure you will be alright for a few days, maybe weeks.

Well I hate to see threads like this. The fella didn't get the answer he wanted and got all upset. I feel bad for him and I feel bad for the fish.

I have tried, since I started my tank, to be responsible. Are all of my fish tank bred? Sadly no. I did research them before hand to make sure that I could TRY to provide a proper environment for them. Even by doing research I made a mistake. I thought I knew what I needed. I was wrong BUT I have been able to make up for that mistake. (Scooter Dragonette) It cost me a little more each month, but its worth it.

With every purchase you need to have a real good idea of what you are getting into. You should also have a back up plan or two. For me, I have a gentleman's agreement with the LFS. If something goes horribly wrong, they will take my fish. I also have fellow reefers that can house fish for me if needed. The LFS will also take one fish off my hands if it should be a problem. (overly aggressive for example)

Honestly, I could care less about the cost of a fish. I am taking on a BIG responsibility with each one. I am welcoming them into my home and doing my best to give them the proper environment to thrive. Some will argue that they are just animals. Animals very low on the totem pole. Some will give them the benefit of the doubt and even elevate them to the level, of say, a dog. Well, I go beyond that. My Fish, and my dogs are part of my family. I will do whats necessary to give them the best life possible. Sometimes, that choice might be to let them go.

Please return the little fish if possible. Wait until you have a bigger tank. Think about it. You say your going to up grade. Thats great! It will allow you a much larger choice of fish. However, when will you do this? In a week? A month? How long will the cycle of the new tank take? 4, 5, 8 weeks? How big and or stressed will that little fish be before his new home will be ready? Will he even survive that long?

Don't get on your high horse with the folks here. They are simply trying to help and possibly save the life of a fish that you meant no harm to in the first place.

I don't think the OP is still around.
He saw a response he did not like and probably moved on to look for another forum that will tell him it is OK to keep the trigger in the small tank.

By the way, I need help. My dolphin is acting erratically the past few days.
My LFS told me that he would be OK in my saltwater pool since he was still a pup.
Pleas HELP! He can't even turn around in the pool without bumping the walls!

Yeah, maybe he will read it anyway. Thing is, the folks over a RC, and I'm sure he has been there, will slaughter him over this! Folks here are pretty tame in compairison!

The trouble you are having with your Dolphin remided me of my Manta Ray. I just sold him to the guy down the street with a bigger pool! :rofl:

I don't think the OP is still around.
He saw a response he did not like and probably moved on to look for another forum that will tell him it is OK to keep the trigger in the small tank.

By the way, I need help. My dolphin is acting erratically the past few days.
My LFS told me that he would be OK in my saltwater pool since he was still a pup.
Pleas HELP! He can't even turn around in the pool without bumping the walls!

Yeah, maybe he will read it anyway. Thing is, the folks over a RC, and I'm sure he has been there, will slaughter him over this! Folks here are pretty tame in compairison!

The trouble you are having with your Dolphin remided me of my Manta Ray. I just sold him to the guy down the street with a bigger pool! :rofl:

So what you 2 are sayin is that my daughters wadin pool aint big nuff for my orca and great white? I mean the orca ( he's my buddy ) is only like 10ft right now and the great white is like 6. Thank they would be alright in a little bit bigger wadin pool?

I really think you would be ok with just the great white in your pool. Just make sure to feed him plenty of brine shrimp every other day. :-)

I really think you would be ok with just the great white in your pool. Just make sure to feed him plenty of brine shrimp every other day. :-)

I've been giving him a cap full of D.T.s live phyto ever other day. Do you really think the Brine would be better?

I thought great whites were photosynthetic and didn't require any suplimental feedings. My LFS said thry didnt need it. I've had one for two weeks and haven't fed him. Do you think I should hand feed him some table shrimp?

They actually will just pick the algae off your rocks so you don't need to worry about it. If you are really worried, you could always hang an nori sheet for him!

When I kept a great white in the pool, I did not need to feed it.
I just put a sign outside that says "Neighbors feel free to take a dip in my pool".
It became a VERY quiet neighborhood after a while...

They actually will just pick the algae off your rocks so you don't need to worry about it. If you are really worried, you could always hang an nori sheet for him!

Mine wont touch the Nori. But I have noticed that he gets a little excited when the neighbors cat get close to the pool.
The Orca on the other hand seems to really like picking pods off the rock.
BTW
How often should I change the water in the pool? The waters a really nasty orange color. All my parameters are normal.

For nasty orange color water, run a bunch of carbon.
Not the activated carbon, but the one found in the BBQ isle at the hardware store. Preferrably the "easy to light" ones.

No need to pay those super expensive priced for GFO either. Just toss a box of nails into the bottom of the pool. They will rust eventually and low and behold, you have GFO! For ick, you can just toss in a handful of old pennies.

Back