New star fish problems!

Laur122

Reefing newb
I recently bought a Luzon starfish and I've probably had it about a week now. I've noticed that he is not as active as other starfish I have had in the past, but also one of its legs fell off. Any ideas what I should do or why this happend ?

What are you water params? Has it been eating? Normally a lost limb means a new starfish. Just like most things; if its not active, but looks ok, then it's probably reproducing.

That happened to my starfish too. He disenigrated. It is because of the tempture. The exact thing happened to mine a looong time ago. The temp hast to be below 76 that's why I don't understand why they sell them for reef aquariums??

I do think that high NO3 can be harmful to starfish. However, I don't think that exposing starfish to air is harmful, as many species are intertidal and can be found exposed to air at some point. Also, I believe when a starfish loses a leg a new starfish form from the leg, The starfish will just regenerate a new leg to replace the one that fell off.

That is true of a lot of starfish.But there are also some stars that dont live in the tidal zones that exposure to air can kill.The Linkias are one that air will kill.

Every star that Liveaquaria carries has this warning. I`m just using the blue linknia one here but as I said all their stars carry this warning.

"The Blue Linckia Sea Star should never be exposed to air while handling,"

Yup, most reef species never come in contact with air. Tidal animals are very different from animals that live out in the ocean.

I searched high and low online and didn't find an answer to my similar dilema until the LFS told me. My star lost a leg. Then started to decompose from the middle out... Turns out I had re-rocked my tank and stirred the sand a bit and messed all the chemistry in my tank.. Nitares were off the charts! I had to do a 40 water change and weekly reduce the degree by 10. Month later, my water is fine and my inverts are chillin... Hey join my site.. MarineGeek.com!

Back