New Starter - Needing advice

some reefer like a open aquarium. you mont the light on top of your tank.
some fish do jump, but I dont think most will.You also buy or build a matching canopy top.look at jhnrb's or Warrington-guy's tank pictures this will give you an idea of what im talking about.

So its safe to have no top on apart from the light then ... My girlfriend is worried about hermit crabs etc climbing out of the tank because she is in the house alot more during the day while I am at work.

I am in the process of finialising a spreadsheet with all the equipment I plan to buy - I will post it here before getting the old credit card out :wink:

You do not need any top. I have run mine without a top for years now. The only REAL escape artist I had was a snow flake ell. Tell your girl friend if an animal gets out it will probably flop around the tank for a few minutes before dieing, tell her not to worry about in killer hermit crabs getting ahold of her. :lol:

LOL @ Killer Hermit Crabs ... For some reason she thinks they look menancing, and from what I have read they can be troublemakers with pulling rocks down n stuff :shock:

Ok I have attached a spreadsheet of what I plan to get (it won't be all at once but over a few weeks as I've got some DJ gear I selling in order to pay for this new hobby) - Please let me know if I have choosen anything crap

good list, im not sure if the Hydor Prime 20 has a built in pump or not, you might end up purchasing an external pump.

On stage two don't forget the salinity meeter. :wink:

chris said:
good list, im not sure if the Hydor Prime 20 has a built in pump or not, you might end up purchasing an external pump.

Thanks for the headsup - I will have a look on Hydors website

On stage two don't forget the salinity meeter. :wink:

D'oh - yeah how could I forget that :roll:

Try The Book I Got Saltwater Aquariums For Dummies The Same Type Of Book You Get For Computers. I Bought Mine From Amazon

Back