New Startup 75G looking for LED

atony4688

Reefing newb
Hello, I am just starting up my 75 tank, but I do not want to use the power fluorescent that was given with the tank because I don't want to drop $240 every 6 months for new bulbs for it. I want to go straight into LED, but have heard so many different specs for different tanks and different species in the tanks. My tank is 4' and I belive 18 or 20 inches deep (from top of water to bottom of sand) I have heard depth matters? Alsoi would like the ability to grow corals in my tank. This is where I get lost. I have heard soft corals require less light that hard ones, I do want to grow both, so I will need to be able to sustain the hard corals needs. Also I have heard that if the lights are too bright, you can kill the coral. I am looking to spend 300, I might be able to be convinced 400. But I'm not sure what to look for. Also I would bot mind a kit, but the ones I look at there is no "case" or anything to hold the less. How do they get mounted to the tank. Please help me out.

Rapid led offers a build your own kit to get into your price range. I run the kessils @ 70 percent and they grow all my corals great. If you go to bright they will bleach. It has to do with your placement of your coral, you would want sps higher in the tank and put your lps softies and leathers lower. Look for lense degree, that all depends on how many lights that need to be in there. Leds are a nice feature, you can do all kinds of great things to accent your corals at different times. Good luck

I don't think, for $300, you're going to be able to light that tank with LEDs without doing some decent DIY work. Your description in your id says 95 gallon? Either way, 75 or 95, you'd need two kessil 350s which would be around 700 without mounting goosenecks. Just as an example.
And yes, depth does matter ;)

I agree with the others replies and will add that I encourage you to take your time and really understand the needs of the corals you want before you make any large purchases. There is a lot that goes into keeping sps, like water quality, flow rate, and as you've mentioned, lighting. Don't spend the money on lighting them until you've truly got a setup and understanding of what is going to be involved in keeping them healthy. I don't say that to discourage you, rather to just encourage youto take your time.you may rather buy t5's or halides in favor of having a little extra to spend on pumps or reactors. Good luck!

I have a standard 90. Same as yours just slightly taller. I am using the cheap Chinese LEDs off of eBay. Almost a year now. No issues at all. My corals LOVE them. Shallow to deep, softies, LPS and SPS. They are dimmable. Shipped to my door for $360 for two units. You will want two for yours too.

I'm not a light snob. I buy what works at the best price I can. These work well and the price was unbeatable. PM me IF.... you would like to know which eBayer I got them from. I have an old thread about Cheap Chinese LEDs if you care to search for it. I have never heard one FIRST HAND negative about these cheap lights. Sure somebody said his next door neighbors cousins girl fiends brother had an issue, but I never heard of one person hating these lights.

Back