New Study: HLLE and activated carbon

Wow, that is very cool!

But i have hard time believing that is the only cause of HLLE. I would like to see more studies done with diet and stocking/stress.

HLLE does appear in systems that don't run carbon -- but at least this seems to be definitive proof that carbon is a cause.

He didn't say it was only from carbon

In 2009, a survey was taken of 100 advanced aquarists who identified twenty five suspected causes for HLLE in marine fishes. The majority of the survey participants believed that HLLE in marine fishes such as tangs and angelfish is caused by a dietary problem, notably deficiencies in vitamin C or low levels of highly unsaturated fatty acids. General stress caused by captivity also was cited as a major cause of HLLE. Other survey responses included stray electrical current, the use of copper medications, heavy metal toxicity, lack of sunlight, the use of activated carbon or the presence of a variety of chemical pollutants all as possible causes of HLLE. Viral and bacterial infections have also been implicated in causing this syndrome (Varner 1991, Hemdal 1989).

Not mentioned in the article: People with carbon tumblers seemed to have rates of HLLE. I rinse carbon well! The instructions for Chemi-pure tell you not to rinse it. I disagree. The article said it was primarily carbon dust that caused HLLE. Rinse it well.

HLLE does appear in systems that don't run carbon -- but at least this seems to be definitive proof that carbon is a cause.

Yup, I had a Blue Hippo that developed HLLE in my tank. At that time I was not nor had I ever been running carbon.

I am now running carbon along with my Bio Pellets and as of now have not seen any form of HLLE.

Also, you need to rinse the carbon before you run it in your system as stated above by Sen.

Sorry to hijack the thread here: Fast are you using the dual reactor from BRS for running carbon and biopellets? I was thinking about doing this.

Thanks, okay back to the carbon bashing.

:lol:

There is a dose-response relationship here though, based on the different amounts of carbon that were used. Only in the last 6 months did I start running carbon 24/7 in my dual reactor from BRS. I never used carbon before then. But the volume of carbon I use is so small compared to my system volume, I doubt I'd see negative results.

:lol:

There is a dose-response relationship here though, based on the different amounts of carbon that were used. Only in the last 6 months did I start running carbon 24/7 in my dual reactor from BRS. I never used carbon before then. But the volume of carbon I use is so small compared to my system volume, I doubt I'd see negative results.

You run complete opposite of me. I have my reactor stuffed with carbon so there is no tumbling what so ever. Of course I started mine when I had an Iodine overdose, but decided to not pull it off-line once the tank was cleared.

Well I have the reactor full -- no tumbling. But my system is about 150 gallons total (tank, sump and fuge) and with the MaxiJet powering it, I don't think the turnover rate through the reactor is very big compared to my system size. I also have not noticed one bit of difference in water clarity, quality, smell, etc. since I started using the dual reactor...

We should do a test to see how many use carbon on LR, how many don't, and how many stopped useing for what reasons? MAybe this will indicate the main reasons, problem area these fish cant handle carbon? also it indecated that the one fish is has had an indication of these problems and which is a tank starter and which can run in tank water peremeters higher then almost any....

Sorry to hijack the thread here: Fast are you using the dual reactor from BRS for running carbon and biopellets? I was thinking about doing this.

I am. ROX carbon in one chamber and HC GFO in the other.
My carbon side is not stuffed but there is a sponge that keeps it compressed so no tumbling.
Both run 24/7.

I started running BRS' dual carbon/phosphate reactor probably about six months ago. I've seen zero changes in anything in my tank. :lol:

Back