New Study: HLLE and activated carbon

I've never run carbon or phosphate reactor. Just couldn't find a reason to, or I might have tried. lol

Remember this little guy when I got it from mail about a year ago?

YellowTang_720.jpg

All nice and healthy now.

KoleYellow.jpg

Thank you for sharing the article! I am happy to see further research regarding this issue. I stopped running carbon about 3 years ago when my Vlamingi tang continued to develop HLLE that had started in the tank he was previously in. once I stopped running carbon I no longer noticed the increase of lesions or erosion. The scarring was so bad there wasnt much reversal, but it stopped for sure. Im glad there was such a good test ran on this. back when I stopped the most i could find was the theory on wetwebmedia, but i pulled out all the stops and didnt take any risks.

I do believe that there can be other causes of HLLE besides carbon use, BUT I still will no longer run carbon in my aquarium.

I have a hard time with that study. Only for this reason. I had a Hippo in my tank that had developed HLLE. I had never ever run carbon in my system, yet he had it, and ultimately died of it.

I just took my reactor off-line that was running carbon for the last 6 months. I have a Hippo, Yellow, Vlamingi, Lavander, and Blue Eyed Kole Tangs. None of them have or are now showing any signs of HLLE.

I beleieve the carbon dust can be a contibuting factor, but not soley the cause of this dreadful disease.

Back