New stuff

ReefWannabe

Reefing newb
Well ive been gone for a bit lol. Went to reef central to bug those guys too. Just wanted to say that Im getting 65# of live rock already cured in a tank for 1 1/2 years from a friend for 1.50$ a lb!!!! Im also giving my CC to my cousin and Im buying 200lbs of live sand locally. Maybe even a protien skimmer if they still have it.

How would an excalibur be on a 55? and anything I should do or look for with this live sand?

only advice at this point is to review the helpful articles. I put a layer of plastic light diffuser down on the bottom of the tank. added sand to fill the squares up, setin my base rock, add rest of sand and then built up the reef off of the base rock. you will add the sand and rock and monitor for cycling of the system as there will be some amount of dye off even if just slight. now would be a good time to add your protien skimmer. The protien skimmer you are looking at if sized for a 100 gal tank would do just fine. make sure you check the requried flow rates and can meet them without blowing the polyps off of the corals inside the tank. the skimmer should be sized large in my own opinion. this way you can run a slower flow and get longer contact times water and bubbles and still maintain adequate skimming. hope this helps.

Light difuser? you mean the white egg crate stuff??? Also I dont have any base rock only the LR. So should I just add all the sand, then the rocks on top? Or would there be another way w/o burying half of the rock.

I can tho add some base in about 2-3 weeks, but would have to dig around in the sand to set them in place.

I do not recommend sitting live rock in the sand if you are using a deep sand bed of 4"+. also if you set the rock on top and any animals dig under it. well you get the picture. also the die off will be extrodinary on the sides with direct contact with the sand. Im afraid if you want base rock to be supported off the bottom of the tank that should go in 1st, then sand then live rock on top of the base rock. several others will probably have some suggestions for you. so they will probably weigh in here. set up a list of steps, and follow the steps, be patient and try not to get the cart before the horse. there are alternatives to supporting the reef with base rock. there are reef stands(series of shelves you set the rocks on, plastic pipe supporting live rock just above the sand level, and many others as an example. This is a task you really need to think through and decide where you want to go with your system, how you want it to look, and what versatility you want including the animals you will put in. the system needs to be set up for them to provide as best an environment as one can muster for the animals that will come. good luck. I have rearranged the helpful articles and moved a few of the beginners articles to the top of the article forum. you might find something there that will help you. if you want to follow me, and im not saying my way is the only or best by any means only what works for me with what I want to keep, then put a layer of light diffuser plastic grid down, add sand to top of grid, install base rock such as HIROCK, addwater, and then add live sand and complete the reef with live rock. you will notice my reef is all dry rock. i will seed the reef with 2 or three pieces of premium live rock after the system is up and running. so all my rock is glued together to keep it in place and positioned the way I want it. I hope this helps and dosnt confuse you. There is no right or wrong way to do it except to keep as much water flow around the rock as possible and keep the contact points as small as possible. good luck

Ok sounds good then, Im actaully moving the tank when I get all this stuff.
Im draining the tank of ALL water and all Crushed Coral, then moving it into the living room.(not sure of what made me want it in the bedroom in the first place....

Im getting the sand Monday. The skimmer Monday.(excalibur for a 75gal) The live rock wednesday. So ill watch an empty tank for a few days until I can get some base rock delivered, and Ill go buy some egg crate.

What exactly is the purpose of the egg crate?

You must keep the live rock and sand if live also wet. cannot dry out and wet with salt water so dont throw away your salt water. if either drys out it will no longer be live and you will have a total die off. hope this helps.

after thought. if at all possible can the live rock and sand stay with the supplier until your base rock is in place?. this might make it easier on you. just a thought.
THE EGG CRATE SPREADS THE POINT LOADS OF THE ROCK OUT OVER A WIDER AREA TO KEEP FROM HAVING TOO MUCH LOAD ON THE GLASS IN ONE PLACE.

ALSO MAKE SURE THE EGG CRATE IS SPACED FROM THE TANK SELICONE SO IT DOES NOT TOUCH IT. THE MAIN PURPOSE FOR THE EGG CRATE IS TO BE UNDER THE ROCK. AS AN ALTERNATIVE YOU COULD USE WHAT IS CALLED STAR BOARD ON THE BOTTOM OF THE TANK THIS WILL ALSO HELP SPREAD THE LOADS.

Last edited:
No If I want it I have to get it lol. But Ill go get a rubbermaid tub and store it all in there. The sand was once live sand, but its been dried for some time now, the rock however is coming with the tank water its in now, but Im going to cook it first anyways for about a week or two.

Also Im looking for a long rock. Something to make a ledge out of.

Now that im following your advise I hope so lol. Im looking for a cpr overflow box once I get the base LR and sand in, along with some powerheads.

I bought a siphon setup today (for my FW tank) also got a 5 gallon bowl for another betta and a tank(15 or 20 gal not sure which yet) This will either be another FW tank or my sump/refugium. The lady im getting the rock from says shes giving hr old refugium setup, but im not sure what it is or the condition, so im not getting happy yet.

Ill be looking for some of you in chat monday lol.

Were can I find some reef stands at I would like to look into that option for my soon to come 55gallon are they easy to hide?

You could make some out of pvc or eggcrate, but not sure about hiding them.

I got my stuff today. for $150 I got
excalibur skimmer
small powerhead
55 gallon trashcan
200lbs sand

Im going to use the trashcan to cook the LR, although I have thought about it, and depending on the rock I get wednesday, i may just pressurewash it and use it for my base and order some FIJI from the guy I got this stuff from today. They have a distributor licanse, but have to place a minimum order of like 400, and they have some peeps already in on it, so im getting another 100 lbs or so from them in maybe 2 weeks!!!

live aquaria also has the seio powerheads on sale, so I will probably get 2 of the mc620 or w/e the name is.( the 620 gph unit) for like 34.99 each!!

On Your Past Thread I Read You Have A Aquarium That You Might Make Into A Fresh( The Smaller Tank )i Was Going To Suggest I Have To Mated Pair Of Electric Yellow Cichlids If Interested They Are Free Man And They Have Babys All The Time But The Other Fish Eat Them . Its Just A Thought ,and How Long Can Fish Live When It Comes To Mailing Do You Know Im Sure It Varies From Fish To Fish? :d

Im not sure on mailing fish. I know you need heat packs, but not sure what else. I can get cichlids all day now with my friends just had babies... But they are to aggressive lol. I have a gouramis only tank so far, with 2 fish, going to get 2 more for them. The new tank is to small for cichlids tho, I wouldnt put 2 cichlids in anything smaller than a 30 gallon, just for 2 since they get big. I also may make this into a sump/refugium if the one im getting friday isnt to great.

Back