new sump/refugium

fishbait

I found Nemo
I finally got around to building the sump that I wanted. I was going to hold out and build a new stand. (actually started the project several months ago and never finished it) so I could fit something fairly large such as a 30 long. but, I decided to go ahead and build one out of a 20 high. it's a little more cramped that what I desired. I wanted to have enough room to hang the skimmer on the outside, and run a filter sock on the drain.but, I got sick of all the micro bubbles in the tank coming from my old sump. which was a plasic tote from wal-mart. there was no way, nore enough room to add baffles and bubbletraps to this thing. so, I decided to go ahead and go with the 20 gallon. even though this one isn't the size that I wanted, it works great. and it stopped all the anoying micro bubbles in the d.t.
001_32196.JPG

I already mentioned it earlier but it looks like you've done a great job.
I was thinking about Importknight wanting to built a sump.Maybe,can you explain the two baffles before the return.Do you think they both are needed or since space is limited,will one do?

Nice job. Looks awesome.

But, if I may make an observation:
It looks like it's awfully full. Whats gonna happen if you have a power outage? Will it overflow? Or do you have enough room? Have you tested it by killing all power and watch the tank overflow until it drops down enough to stop?

I already mentioned it earlier but it looks like you've done a great job.
I was thinking about Importknight wanting to built a sump.Maybe,can you explain the two baffles before the return.Do you think they both are needed or since space is limited,will one do?

one would probaly due if you ran the water level as high as I have it in the picture, or maybe even a little higher to shorten the distance that the water has to fall from the fuge section. I started with the water a lot lower for the test run and still got some micro bubbles, even with the extra baffle. after I added more water they went away.

Nice job. Looks awesome.

But, if I may make an observation:
It looks like it's awfully full. Whats gonna happen if you have a power outage? Will it overflow? Or do you have enough room? Have you tested it by killing all power and watch the tank overflow until it drops down enough to stop?

thanks RC.
plenty of room for drainback. when I shut all the pumps off the water level rises just to the top of the lowest baffle. leaving appx. 3 inches at the top. I could actualy add two more gallons of water and be ok. but, I would rather be a little safe than sorry.

Back