New Sump Socks = Overflow

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
So I have been having issues out of nowhere with my Reef Octopus Extreme 250 overflowing and spitting microbubbles.

I had put in Marine Snow and Coral Vite and I thought it had to be one of them.

After talking to Julian from 2 Little Fishes I ruled that out. The Coralvite also cannot be the reason.

After 3 days my skimmer has returned to normal. This morning I decided to clean the skimmer cup because I had to change out my sump sock as it was overflowing and making bubbles.

I do like normal and take the large cup off and bring it to the sink. I disconnect the PVC that drains into the sock and take out the sock. It was coated and dirty of course so I put it into a container and also bring it to the sink.

I rinse the cup and install a new sock, plug in the return pump and the 2 skimmer pumps and instant microbubbles and oveflowing.

I sat there and stared at it, pissed off to the max. I said ok let me think.... I always rinse the cup and do the same routine but today I put in a new out of the bag eshopps rectangle bag. The same bags that were installed from day one of this problem.

I have been in contact with Coralvue and so I emailed them back with my new thoughts and yes it appears the socks have something in them like detergent to make them white and with high air flow skimmers it can cause these issue Here is part of the email I got.

"The sock material has a detergent that bleaches the material. They are usually safe but really makes skimmers go nuts, especially high air pumps. The detergent is much like soap with water so you can see how that would react to the skimmer."

So it appears it was not the dosing or anything like that.

Anyone else have these issues with new socks?

Yeah just got off the phone with eShopps and they said they recommend rinsing the socks out. Guess that was the problem.

Lesson Learned: Wash your socks hahaha!

Skimmers can be really sensitive.
I've had them go nuts for various unexplained reasons... all I know is I was doing something or other in the sump.

Back