new sump w/refugium

I've decided to get a sump with refugium. I'm not a do-it-yourselfer so I'm going to buy one (I can just hear you guys laughing ;) Question is: some sumps have the skimmer chamber first, then the refugium, while others have the refugium first, then skimmer. What's the best option? Thanks!

Skimmer first! You want to get the yucky stuff out of the water via the skimmer, then send clean water into the refugium. Also, if you use your refugium to culture pods, etc., they would get sucked up into the skimmer if it came later (which you wouldn't want to happen!). However, you should consider how you want to use the refugium. I've been told (albeit by my LFS) that the flow in the refugium used for culturing should be slower than the flow in the sump, and hence should be set up separately rather than as a single unit. But, I'm just starting myself so will be curious to hear others chime in!

Thanks. That makes sense. Well, if it's better for the refugium to be separate with a slower flow, maybe I'll just keep my HOB skimmer for now and just use the sump for one big refugium.

Okay one more question. So I'm looking at two options for a sump for my 125. One is about 40 gallons and measures 36"long x 16"wide. The other is about 30 gallons and is 30"long and 14"wide. I want the bigger one of course. But the stand is only 18" wide, 2" wider than the sump. The guy I'm buying the tank and stand from said when I get it I can remove the brace in back to put the sump in, then screw it back into place. He said he can't say for sure if the sump will fit otherwise, which means I won't be able to remove the sump after the tank is set up. Since I don't have a sump now I have no idea, do you guys ever find a need to take the sump out for any reason? Do you think the larger one is too tight of a fit?

u shouldnt ever have to take it out ever but u never know. there might b situations where u might not be able to get to a part of the sump for cleaning or maintnence or whatever.

I've never had to take my sump out once it's setup but, make sure whatever equipment you put in the sump can be removed when it's under the stand.

Whatever you do, set the sump up first and get everything you need inside the stand. I have a thread going on this exact issue right now ("I hate my sump"); I filled my tank and have it cycling, thinking I'd get my sump set up while it was cycling, only came to find out my skimmer wont fit in the sump, and now I cant get my alternative 20g tank into the stand without removing the back brace. PITA!! My best advice is to get it all figured out before you set your tank. You might also be able to reinforce the stand in another way and perhaps be able to remove a side panel to slide the sump in and out if needed, although I know you said you weren't a DIY type person. Keep us posted on how it all works out!

I know either size sump will fit the Reef Octopus skimmer I plan to get. But the smaller one has only 1.5 inches around the skimmer, so I don't know if that's a problem (not enough room for water to circulate or something?) But I will definitely get it all set up and know it will fit before I put water in. Thanks for your input guys.

One more question for you guys - I really appreciate your help:) If I get a larger sump would I have to do larger water changes? I mean, if I want to change 20% do I just calculate the gallons based on tank size or do I have to factor in how many gallons the sump adds?

|
pump | r e f u g i u m | | | skimmer |

Lol this is what ours looks like. The pump/return goes up on the left side of the tank and to the right back down to the skimmer, thru the fuge, to the pump and back up. I think it's the basic design.

Last edited:
That seems to be the consensus. The Aqueon ProFlex sump is the only one I saw that had the refugium first and then the skimmer. I'm going with the ADHI sump, just not sure about the size.

Back